DIY Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I'm not going around the hydrogen-battery carousel again but will leave you with one consideration... the following statement is only true in the US... most of the worlds population will never have access to home charging because their homes do not have parking.

Because you could charge at home
Now back to Nikola Motor ;)

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Strange how "marketing noise" allows you to undertake a road trip 'faster' than a Model X today;

https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/mirai/2016/long-term-road-test/2016-toyota-mirai-hydrogen-vs-electricity-road-trip-to-lake-tahoe.html

I fully understand that you don't like hydrogen but that won't stop it's progress nor should it stop balanced discussion on a forum dedicated to the DIY Electric Car.
You completely missed the point. The mindless marketing noise was not about the fact that they proclaim they will use hydrogen (another issue, and one I do suspect Nikola will eventually abandon). Rather it was about the phrasing that tries to make it sound like their company goal in buying these trucks is to "save the earth" when the reality is that they expect to save money and result in more predictable deliveries. Sure, they also think it makes them look good doing it - but "saving the planet" is just marketing spin. No business makes decisions like that unless it helps the bottom line.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
How about the fact that IT IS NOT AN ELECTRIC CAR?!?
At this point it is a series hybrid with a natural gas range extender. Yes, it has a range extender (like the BMW I3), but it also has the biggest battery of anything out there (315 kWh) and can operate on battery only longer than a Chevy Volt.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Am I the only one that noticed that they only have one door on the side...
How does the driver get out of the truck when it is laying on its side?

Around here on a windy day there might be 3-4 trucks blown over on the highway. (Rather than put up a wind blocking fence or trees, they have a a sign that says "Caution windy area, next 20 miles").

I guess you can try and kick out that "panoramic window".

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
How about the fact that IT IS NOT AN ELECTRIC CAR?!?
In fairness, if you used the truck for commuting it would in fact be an electric car. It's only when it's hooked up to an 80,000 lb load that the generator has to come on regularly...

yah but if you make slimey "save the earth" claims, you are more likely to get tax dollars for your boondoggle.
Ain't that the truth?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
In the Q/A video, the 2nd door question was asked and answered by saying that the show truck was only partially complete and they just didnt have enough time to engineer and finish the second side door and associated body panels.
Same with much of the interior,..its incomplete.
Note , it was also stated that pretty much all of the current truck would have to be redesigned and reengineered from the ground up including revised, smaller , motor reduction units, in order to get the 5th wheel hitch down lower to a standard level. !

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Ugh.

Playing the "It didn't have X", "I technically never said it had X" game.

$22 billion dollar company, that doesn't even have the key component of its technology available, and released to shell as a driveable vehicle.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Ugh.

Playing the "It didn't have X", "I technically never said it had X" game.

$22 billion dollar company, that doesn't even have the key component of its technology available, and released to shell as a driveable vehicle.
Yeah and he's still lying :( Says the motors were "removed for safety reasons". No, he never had them. Just empty shells (impressive CNC shells but still that's the easy part).

·
Administrator
6,082 Posts
Just another scam!

Tesla was NOT a scam - but most of the "wanna be" outfits are just scams

81 - 99 of 99 Posts