DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I'm brand new to this site and loving everything I'm reading. Thanks to everyone for sharing so much useful information.

I'm not an engineer, unfortunately. But I do have a concept for a new electric car company; inclusive of a beautiful, beachy, low-cost, customizable electric car, a 'build-on-demand' production process and direct-to-consumer sales model.

I'm very interested in chatting with engineers that can poke holes in my thinking and/or validate some of my assumptions.

I'd love to connect with anyone interested in chatting and providing expert engineering guidance.

Thanks in advance - hope to connect soon.

Max

·
Registered
171 Posts
My understanding is that regulations for boutique automakers in the USA are opening up in 2018, if you build under 300 cars a year you don't have to meet safety or emissions regs

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
My understanding is that regulations for boutique automakers in the USA are opening up in 2018, if you build under 300 cars a year you don't have to meet safety or emissions regs
You might hope so, but no. That exemption for under 325 vehicles per year only applies to replica cars which resemble production vehicles manufactured at least 25 years ago.

AutoWeek: Small-volume carmakers get a big break in Motor Vehicle Safety Act

It might be possible to build an EV which qualifies as a replica, but it would still need to have the body appearance of something old enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts