DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm interested to hear what kind of power you will see with what looks like a Sevcon size 6 and an ME1304 Motenergy motor... I have that motor and a 2015 YZ450f rolling chassis ready for a conversion but am not confident in the Kelly controller that I have sourced. I would like to go with the Sevcon or figure out someone who can characterize the Kelly controller to match the motor before I proceed. OTHERWISE, I am thinking about just sticking with a good old brushed DC ME1003 and running 90V instead of 45V like in my 99' YZ400 electric conversion - it works great just gets hot and runs out of RPM, 90V I think would cure it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
In your 2nd image and in the youtube video - it looks like you did use the Kelly controller. If you are able to get the controller characterized to the motor, please share! As I mentioned, I am holding off on building due to my lack of confidence in this motor and controller setup.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello, dain254 ! I have tried to configure a Sevcon Gen 6 Size 4 to my Electric Crosskart but I failed. I only had a Clearwiev display to try to configure and it was a bit hard. I have beeb offered to loan a dongle so I can connect to computer and make programming but I have not had time or patience to do that. Maybe later this autumn when I will rebuild the Electric Snowcross.
Kelly Controller is much easier and you will not have any problem to configure it to the motor. It is more down to what kind of batterypack you use.
If you have the recommended Controller to the ME1304, the 600 A and
with sinus/ cosinus sensors and just follow the manual it's " plug and play" :

https://kellycontroller.com/shop/kls-8080i-ips/

Then it's batterypower who sets limits. Se my video for help :

https://youtu.be/6ezTCG2Kiz4

BR Pär

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dain254, you are welcome with questions and we can can take it step by step with setup. I will come to that part in a few weeks when I start up the Delivery Bike. Maybe make video how to connect and set parameters if you like.

BR Pär

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've got some experience programming Kelly brushed controllers successfully. I've been trying to run the 96601 Kelly but with an ME1507 in a small EV and finally gave up- it is easy to get the motor to run, but not to perform well, this is where the characterization comes into play. I was never able to get more than 20kw before the controller would give me a hall error code (100V battery). This is why I'm nervous to waste my time building dirt bike #2 with the brushless setup. I KNOW I can squeeze power out of a brushed motor!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok , then I understand. I have not been trying to boost the max out of the Kelly Controller, I usally build things and get them running. Then I put them into the garage and start build the next one.

What i learned, as I mentioned before, is the problem to get the BMS and battery running smoothly.

BR Pär

·
Registered
217 Posts
My lack of high performance success has definitely led me to question sourcing brushless motors for projects - It is unfortunate that there aren't more powerful brushed motors than the ME1003 which from what I've seen other than an AGNI there just isn't anything out there until you go to series wound Warp 9,11,13 sized motors. Most of the things I build I'm doing so due to the fact that it is something I want and can't buy, and would like to use! I'd drive my small EV daily and weather permitting if it functioned properly. I have a page on facebook that details a lot of my projects "SSE Sires Systems Engineering" if you have any interest. The electric motorcycle I built is detailed there, as well as a battery project for PowerWheels. I'm happy to share all of my knowledge in getting your batteries to work properly, as I have had a lot of success in that area! Chargery makes a really nice active BMS unit that is as simple as it gets.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello, almost finished. Motor is spinning ME1302 and controller programmed.
Missing chain and some hoses for cooling.
Testrun comming up shortly !

BR Pär

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts