DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
The drive unit is discussed in another thread in the Electric Motors section:
Ford Eluminator - 320ft-lb/280hp crate motor
... and incidentally in other threads, such as Corvair Rampside conversion with a Fiat 500E drivetrain

This particular project looks tidy, but the interior is a disaster. The instrument panel display is stupidly non-functional, and the huge and inappropriate screen is improperly mounted too high (as well as just being stuck in the interior like an afterthought). But it's for SEMA , where a lot of ridiculous crap is shown.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
You obviously have not seen what smashed Mach-E's fetch at auction

😬

Cheaper to buy new.

Yes, I looked at both dealer & salvage yard. Then to just buy a crashed one. Non bueno.

That should all settle down, but it is outrageous right now due to the dearth of cars getting bent.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Since it was sold as a stand-alone motor with no charger, no inverter/controller, and no energy source (battery pack), I bet you'll see them pop up on eBay in a couple months for less-than-retail. Guys think "EV Conversion", then see the Ford release, and then jump without thinking. Put another way, I wonder how many of the sold units are in the hands of folks that know what to do with them.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I suspect most of these early buys are for teardowns/reverse-engineering/copycatting/patent-protection, maybe even aftermarket partmakers.

The inverter is available. Its documentation is not (that I could find), which makes it an $1800 brick. If Ford was to release a manual for running the inverter, this DU could go viral.

CAN is an anti-repair-rights moat that needs to get filled in with dirt by Congress.

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
What CAN documentation? Are you aware of any?
Not personally, no. But then I don't have a Mach-E service manual. If you're seriously interested, cough up $20 USD for a one-month subscription to service documentation for this vehicle model from a third-party publisher (such as AllData), or make friends with an employee of a service business (Ford dealership or otherwise) with a subscription to full Ford service documentation, preferably direct from Ford (which published through Working...).

Even if there is none, beyond the diagnostic trouble codes required by federal legislation, do you need them to maintain and repair a Mach-E? Dealerships fix powertrains by replacing large components (such as the entire inverter module) which don't work, and the ability to do that is about all "right to repair" will get you; I don't think there can be a legal argument that the purchaser of a vehicle needs access to the technical information required to use a vehicle's components in a way which was not intended by the manufacturer and not required to operate the vehicle.

Of course it could be argued that the Mach-E rear drive unit sold under the "Eluminator" label is a fraud without supporting components and/or documentation, since it is not fit for the advertised purpose. That's a straightforward civil litigation, not a "right to repair" issue.

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
AEM Electronics mentioned (as an aside in a YouTube video about an unrelated project) that an Eluminator installation which was at the SEMA show used a Cascadia inverter, borrowed from AEM's project.
See 1:45 in Our '71 Pinzgauer EV Conversion is FINALLY Coming Together!
They mentioned a team working with Ford, so although a consumer probably gets no information or support, a commercial operation building something for a show promoting Ford gets assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts