DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wanted to say hi. ill just be reading a lot of threads until i finally get my plan going.

i plan on buying a cheap cargo van and throwing a motor or 2 and removing the transmission and just putting i high diff ratio in. goal for the van is get at least 300 mile range because ill be using it to do some rving van life in it. i dont care too much about speed, just so much as i can hit 70mph.

im not sure what motor(s) i should use or how many kwh of batteries ill need... so ill be reading.

im starting the build in a few years, so just want to read up all yalls stuff first before i kill myself with high voltage

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey, and welcome. Lots of info on here, as you have no doubt discovered. I am not an expert, and my project is not running yet, but thought I would give you some advice on rules of thumb that might get you pointed in the right direction.

First off, range. Anything is technically possible, but it gets expensive pretty fast. 10% of your final weight in pounds is a decent estimate of your watt hours per mile. 3000lb vehicle = 300wh/mile. Figure 125$ per kwh, at the very least, and 20lb of added weight and the numbers start to look like this:

3000# chassis
20kwh pack - adds 400 lbs - gets 340wh/m - goes 59 miles - costs $2500

40kwh pack - adds 800 lbs - gets 380wh/m - goes 105 miles - costs $5000
80kwh pack - adds 1600 lbs - gets 460wh/m - goes 174 miles - costs $10,000
160kwh pack - adds 3200lbs - gets 620 wh/m - goes 258 miles - costs $20,000

If you go with new batteries, triple your battery cost. If you buy salvaged cells from an online shop specializing in that, double it. Big heavy vehicles are a tough sell for DIY EV cars, unless you are okay with a pretty limited range. Not trying to be a downer, but give you a realistic picture of what to expect :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts