DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a growing interest in EV and see it as the future.

I'm sure my next car will be an EV of some kind - still a few years off as I have a tractor to pay off first. Or hit the lottery.

Considered converting a zero turn mower into elec...still may. Need to learn more before attempting it.

Will probably start with an elec bicycle conversion this spring as my first experience in EV transportation.

IF I move on, perhaps an EV miata or similar - a fun vehicle. Research so far doesn't seem to make that economically feasible/worth while...but again, i've got a lot to learn before being able to make a final decision on that.

One concern I've not seen/read much about is how EVs do in cold climates - I"m in western PA and this morning it was 1F...I know battery capacity drops in cold temps, how much and is it a 'fatal' issue?

Not an issue with a mower or bicycle...LOL.

Background of me... shadetree mechanic for over 40 years, about 18 years as a professional mechanic/service writer/parts guy on cars and motorcycles and quads, have a 25 acre horse/chicken farm plus drive a school bus, own a photography studio and DJ on the side.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Considered converting a zero turn mower into elec...still may. Need to learn more before attempting it.
There have been some zero-turn mower projects in this forum - check out the Non Road Going Vehicles section.

IF I move on, perhaps an EV miata or similar - a fun vehicle. Research so far doesn't seem to make that economically feasible/worth while...but again, i've got a lot to learn before being able to make a final decision on that.
Think of this as a hobby project, rather than a practical vehicle choice. :)

One concern I've not seen/read much about is how EVs do in cold climates - I"m in western PA and this morning it was 1F...I know battery capacity drops in cold temps, how much and is it a 'fatal' issue?
It's manageable. There aren't many EVs here in Alberta (because they're not subsidized here, among other reasons) but there are some, and I haven't heard of any problems. The Teslas have a circulating liquid thermal management system which includes heating the battery, and the Nissan Leaf has an optional electric battery heater.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There have been some zero-turn mower projects in this forum - check out the Non Road Going Vehicles section.

Think of this as a hobby project, rather than a practical vehicle choice. :)

It's manageable. There aren't many EVs here in Alberta (because they're not subsidized here, among other reasons) but there are some, and I haven't heard of any problems. The Teslas have a circulating liquid thermal management system which includes heating the battery, and the Nissan Leaf has an optional electric battery heater.

The avg new car price in the US is now about 34k. I've seen Bolts for less and the leaf is MSRP of 30k - BEFORE any tax incentives, which I guess most are losing as they are selling more cars than the incentive applies to. I know tesla is fearing this will hurt sales.

I've had friends with volts, they love them, and of course prius - but they're not truly EV.

A few years ago I attended the NAIAS in Detroit and the lower level of Cobo was EV demos rides - road in a leaf, a lincoln (which also had gas engine).

the savings on fuel vs elec charging seems to be tremendouse from what I've read. Interested to know if it's a reality.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
The avg new car price in the US is now about 34k. I've seen Bolts for less and the leaf is MSRP of 30k - BEFORE any tax incentives, which I guess most are losing as they are selling more cars than the incentive applies to.
the savings on fuel vs elec charging seems to be tremendouse from what I've read. Interested to know if it's a reality.
I don't think comparing the price of an electric compact car to the price of a range of vehicles from compact cars to pickups, SUVs, luxury sedans, and sports cars is very useful. Compare the prices of electric compact cars and gas-fueled compact cars, and situation is more clear... and still isn't very relevant to the cost of building a DIY conversion.

Anyway, my point was just that here in cold Alberta the relative scarcity of EVs is not simply due to the cold weather, which can be managed (with consequences).

Sure. Since electrical energy is relatively untaxed compared to motor fuels, and electric vehicles use the energy supplied to them relatively efficiently, there should be (and usually is) a substantial financial benefit to the owner of buying electricity rather than fuel.

Of course, this is not universally true. Electrical power rates vary locally (perhaps more than fuel prices), and could be high if you make the mistake of charging at peak times in a place where time-of-use pricing is in effect. If you are a Tesla owner who bought too late and missed out on the included Supercharger credit (or have exceeded your allowed consumption), you are now paying more for energy from a Supercharger (with their recent price increases to much higher than the general cost of electricity) than you would for gasoline in the same location. Hopefully, you charge at home overnight (or sponge off of businesses or the public at "free" charging points).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts