DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been reading about the new break through in the solid state Batteries? The Electrolyte is supposed to be solid not a liquid. It is supposed to be safer and higher energy density... Supposed to charge in minutes...

Has anyone heard of these?

They are supposed to be revolutionary

·
Registered
255 Posts
Every other day there is a "breakthrough" in battery technology. It takes a decade for any new technology to be commercialized because everything is so tightly regulated, that nothing can be offered to the public unless it is approved for the nanny state. Besides, most of these breakthrough are not competitive. remember the super-capacitors of last decade?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
It's not the "nanny state", it's just hard to come up with something that not only works in the lab, but also scales up to cells of a decent size that last through a decent cycle life- it also takes quite a while to put enough cycles on a new cell type in order to tell what its cycle life might be. There are 2-3 announcements of "breakthroughs" per week not because these are breakthroughs, but because it's an easy story for a lazy "journalist" to do- and the hype generates more funding for the people doing the work in the labs.

·
Administrator
6,310 Posts
Hi Solar
Nope - regulations have damn all to do with it - all of the development work is done inside your factory/laboratory and they are very very lightly regulated
About the only things you need to worry about are health and safety - and even in the USA it's not considered good form to kill too many workers!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Did anyone say it is good to kill workers? I don't get it.

If you had any business experience you would know immediately what I am talking about. Has either of your run a company with let's say 50 or more employees that was in the production business (as opposed to an NGO or government contractor)? Then you would know that over-regulation is killing industry.

Of course there is a plethora of valid and good reasons why such "breakthroughs" do not get to us masses - such as that they are not real in a commercial sense. And neither did I attribute that solely to the nanny state.

So please, before you criticize, try to read the comment. Thanks.

·
Administrator
6,310 Posts
I read your comment
you said that

"It takes a decade for any new technology to be commercialized because everything is so tightly regulated, that nothing can be offered to the public unless it is approved for the nanny state."

Which - as an engineer with decades of experience I can confidently say is

TOTAL BOLLOCKS!

This is a lot of right wing bollocks which is only believed by people who have never actually worked in any form of manufacturing industry

·
Registered
255 Posts
Obviously you have never ran a business to know that in a business a huge part of executive and staff time is spent trying to satisfy the myriad regulations that are thrown against your business. And it is getting worse on a daily basis. Of course Canada where I am is far worse than the US. But we will just wait for a couple of decades for the US to catch up with us. :D

In my last job, I had to deal with 5 concentric and overlapping layers of government just in order to get a permit for a clean energy project. It took years and years. Just to produce clean renewable energy. So no, you are wrong, and have not seen the shady side of industrial production.

"right wing bullocks"? Ahhh, now you are also an expert to know exactly how I think and what my politics are? You have no idea who I am, and stop the labeling and name calling. And no, workers are not getting killed in the clean energy business. :D

And your quotation of my comment is out of context. If you wish not to argue in good faith, there is no point to argue.

·
Administrator
6,310 Posts
Solarsail - if you quack like a duck...

You are simply talking Bollocks about regulation
I have operated multimillion dollar projects in the UK, Canada, USA and NZ

Regulations are there because there were dead bodies
The USA was about the worse (much worse than Canada) because some of their regulations were put in place by lobbyists to restrict competition -
But Canada, UK and NZ all have very minimal regulations
Do a bit of homework and you will find that they actually work for you - if you do things buy the regs it will save you money

Your whole comment

Every other day there is a "breakthrough" in battery technology. It takes a decade for any new technology to be commercialized because everything is so tightly regulated, that nothing can be offered to the public unless it is approved for the nanny state. Besides, most of these breakthrough are not competitive. remember the super-capacitors of last decade?

The bit I quoted
"It takes a decade for any new technology to be commercialized because everything is so tightly regulated, that nothing can be offered to the public unless it is approved for the nanny state."

So say very clearly that one of the reasons that it takes a decade to get any new technology commercialized is tight regulation

To which I repeat - BOLLOCKS

read the regulations - learn from them

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well, it is easy enough to name call. Would you like me to name call you? Many come to mind.

You have operated many projects, but you never have run or owned a business. Big difference. You were an employee who probably didn't care about the company or product so much as long as the next paycheck was in the mail. I have seen among my employees people who actually like to complexify and stretch out a project because that assures them steadier and more lucrative employment. You seem to be versed in the union PoV.

On regulation, you need to read some business articles and see what businesspeople are saying about the atmosphere of ideologic and excessive regulations. I am not the first to complain.

Yes there are safety regulations that make sense. And nowhere have I said that as a whole regulations are unnecessary. My point was about excessive regulations - over regulations, which is keeping development suppressed and hence our standard of living is not rising and a lot of people are getting poorer because it has become next to impossible to produce in a commercial manner.

And yes, I know that many regulations are there to help industries, and certainly necessary, and have positive impact on development, production, and business. This is so obvious, that there is no point in belabouring that. My beef is with overzealous ideological regulations which has become normative.

"Canada have very minimal regulations"? Obviously you have not tried to obtain permits and run a business in Canada. How about the regulation that you have to pay the native Canadians about 20% of your income (in the mining, energy, sometimes real estate, etc. businesses), while they have to give you nothing in return? If this is "bollocks", then why don't you commit to pay for this, so I can peacefully concentrate on my business and without hassles?

So you are claiming there is absolutely NO unreasonable regulatory obstacles to bringing a product to market or developing a project? How is that theoretically possible? Among the thousands of regulations that affect me, you have studied them all, and all of them are 100% reasonable and justified? No errors have ever been committed by bureaucrats who have never worked in the real world, and there is no ideological bias anywhere? Now that I call "boll ...".

I have read the regulations governing my industry, and a lot of it is unjustifiable. Such as paying a 3rd party about 20% of your income. Either that will put me out of business, or if I have the power to raise my prices, the ultimate consumer will have to pay that.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
..Back on topic...another development..
A123 Systems invests in solid-state battery technology company Solid Power
14 September 2017
A123 Systems LLC, a developer and manufacturer of advanced lithium-ion batteries and systems, has invested in Solid Power Inc., a developer of solid-state battery technology. Solid Power’s technology combines an exceptionally high capacity cathode with a high capacity lithium metal anode in combination with a high ionic conductivity solid separator. The battery materials are 100-percent inorganic and possess no flammable or volatile components.

The Solid Power batteries provide substantially higher energy than conventional lithium ion (2-3X greater) while also enabling lower cost systems due to the potential for eliminating many of the costly safety features typically associated with lithium-ion systems.

Solid Power’s technology has been recognized as a game-changer by several global automakers and the investment from A123 will help power the ongoing development of the company’s cell manufacturing strategy.
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/09/20170904-a123.html

·
Registered
255 Posts
Interesting Karter2 and thanks. However, I reserve the right to be skeptical. ;)

The 2x - 3x energy storage capacity is revolutionary. If true, this will overhaul transportation for land, air, and even marine. Also for storage of renewable energy. And a million other uses not even dreamt of yet.

Solid Power was spun off in 2012, 5 years ago, and has such a huge potential. How come no one heard of them and their earth shattering technology is not known to too many people? Any prototypes released? Probably not. I believe they still have fundamental unsolved issues with the technology. Cycle life, calendar life, impedance, and so on.

I wish them the best of luck. I am still rooting for metal-air, as the capacities are so phenomenal that it warrants investing gobs of money in R&D.

I just read the CEO's interview dated a few days ago. He says their first commercial product is not slated for another two years. Sounds like they have fundamental issues. He mentions cycling and a separator layer for the electrolyte ...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts