DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I thought I should introduce myself. Currently :rolleyes: not an EV owner, but here to do my due diligence before I pull the trigger on a used one. If the Leaf had battery thermal management I'd probably go for that, but probably a Fiat 500e instead as 2 seats are usually enough. Happy to have input on the options.

Actually, I do own a small EV. I have one of the old eGo 24V scooters. I bought it as a project last Winter (bad controller and charger) and have it operational with new U1 SLAs (12v 35ah). Today I bought a Ford C-Max Energi battery pack, arriving Friday, to break down and repurpose. I'll do 7S2P for the scooter and 7S10P for my little home standby power system that is based on a Cotek SB2000-124 inverter/charger.

I work in telecommunications, satellite and microwave are my specialties. I have done component-level repair on telecom stuff which usually meant through-hole PCBs in AC-DC and DC-DC power supplies. I've had a pretty extensive car hobby for years and would maybe like to do a conversion at some point using as much from wrecking yards as is feasible.

Cheers,
Josh

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Welcome, This is for DIY but many now have production EV's while playing around with home conversions. I drove the Nissan Leaf for 6 years and took a one year break from electric and then purchased a used 2014 Fiat 500e. The Leaf battery pack from 2013 on is fine and has thermal sensors but is not water cooled. The natural cooling has been just fine even with vehicles in hot places. The initial batteries of the Leaf were garbage in hot weather but fine in cooler weather. The battery pack on the Fiat is great. Mine has 41,000 plus miles on the pack and is still near new real world range. A touch better range than the Leaf. The Fiat has plenty of room for a large fellow like me and I have my rear seats down for a mini SUV effect. Im currently ready to take my vehicle in to have lowering springs and some stiffening bars installed. The bars I can do myself but the springs I need to take in for that. It will lower it about 2" and are designed specifically for the Electric Car and its weight. 90 mph plus and 75 miles plus range depending on your driving habits. A good little car. Well pleased and makes a wonderful commuter car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The DIY part may come in the form of electrifying my 1994 Corvette. I can't afford a Tesla Roadster, but maybe I can come close in performance with the old C4.

For a transportation appliance I don't think I can do better DIY than what I'd spend on a 500e as I have a wholesale connection. I could see myself modding it for range and fast charging. Maybe this is the place to be for help with that, maybe not.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Hi Josh,

Welcome to Portland. If you do decide you want to buy a used EV, head down to Platt Auto and pick up one of their e-Golfs. That's the best deal around. Much better than a Leaf.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, but I was born and raised in Portland. I'll drive both the 500e and the eGolf before I decide, but I gotta say that I can get a 500e for about half of what Platt gets for a Golf.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Welcome, another Portland guy here (Beaverton actually).

I drove the 500e, and it was nice and quick, but a bit small for me. Def drive them all and decide.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts