DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this and I am thinking of building an EV but dont know where to start and dont have much money at all any help would be gladly accepted.

·
Admin: 'one of many'
4,838 Posts
Hi and welcome. One place to start would be to read some of the 'sticky' threads at the top of each board to find out some basic information. You can then look at what your requiremetns would be in terms of use, range and size of vehicle that you have access to convert and then start asking some more specific questions. You can also have a look in the garage tab on the top right of the page to see what other vehicles there are and how they have worked out to see if any suit your needs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of a s-10 pick-up and a trans warp 9 and just by pass the tranny all together and finding some second hand parts to keep cost down and I had a second project in mind for my 1999 chrysler town and country any tips and how do you find other people if any in your area for example I live in Jasper, Alabama. Is there any company's that might sponser this great idea.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I was thinking of a s-10 pick-up and a trans warp 9 and just by pass the tranny all together and finding some second hand parts to keep cost down and I had a second project in mind for my 1999 chrysler town and country any tips and how do you find other people if any in your area for example I live in Jasper, Alabama. Is there any company's that might sponser this great idea.
Here's a tip. Go to http://www.evalbum.com/ and click on the search bar at the top and select "By Type/Make". Then look through the manufacturers that make small trucks similar to what you have in mind. You might find mine at http://www.evalbum.com/756

(and going there myself I see something I need to change ;-)

But anyway, use this tool to see what typically goes into a small truck. You "can" direct drive a small truck with a 9" motor..... but I will tell you it will be rather sluggish off the line without more than 1000 amp controller. My experience is with the Zilla Z1K (1000 amp controller), a WarP9 motor going through the Tranny in 4th gear 1:1. When I do this the truck does not feel responsive to accelerating until I get up over about 40 miles an hour, which takes nearly a minute. 0-40 in 60 seconds is slow by any car drivers standards.

There are ways to direct drive the truck and make it more responsive. That would involve putting a larger controller and batteries that can provide much more current. If you are trying to do this on a budget then keeping the tranny will be your best move and far as cost. Its a little more complicated than direct driving, but cheaper than buying 2000 amp controllers and batteries to match.

You could go with a much higher gear ratio in the rear end to make direct driver better, but that is about as complicated as building an adapter for the tranny, and it limits you to one acceleration rate and one top speed. If you keep the tranny you can take off quicker in low gear and also have a decent top speed.

In my case I only use 2nd and 3rd gear. 2nd makes the truck do 0-60 mph in 12-14 seconds which is moderately fast for a grocery getter, and 3rd allows a top speed of 80+ mph. (2nd will top me out at about 45-50 mph).

Anyway hope this helps. I'd recommend finding titles of threads that might shed some light on some particular questions you have. Many questions you will have each have their own discussion thread somewhere or another. You might also just ask this list "Which thread talks about homemade contactors?" or "how do you keep your batteries warm in the winter?".

Anyway good luck.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts