DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this in my introduction. I am a Robot Repair Technician by week and a machinist by weekend. I needed a project to fill about 1-2 hours a day Sometimes more. I kinda want to have a really different car so I am starting with a rolling chassis off of an older VW bug. No motor but has a trans. I want to work with an AC motor due to the 150-200 mile Range I want to get. I have 2 electric forklifts for parts however I know nothing about their batteries, that might be why there were made parts. I want something 10HP or so because of the rather hilly terrain around and higher RPM due to the high amount of highway Driving required to do almost everything here, including food shopping.

I do not want to be drag racing or anything like that with this car, however a top speed of 75 MPH or so is what I am aiming to get.

Question 1 One idea I had was to wire my lights and stereo to a singular battery with a generator, so WHEN I leave my lights on I can still get home. Good idea or bad??

Question 2 Where could I get an AC motor 10-12HP with enough RPM to give me my speed goal??

Question 3 With the limited budget, I cant give numbers, its kinda $20 here $100 There when i Have it to put into the car, is this possible keeping that in mind?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Hi and welcome to THE place for EV information.

1st thing is to forget forklift batteries. Way too big and heavy.

A little here and there is a fine way to go and catch a bargain when you can.

Lithium batteries will be a must for the range and speed you require.

Others will chime in with more ideas.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Agreed with the forklift batteries. I work in a warehouse and can tell you the lightest of them is over 2000 pounds and only 36 volts.
If you want AC drive you could always check out http://www.electricmotorsport.com/store/ems_ev_parts_motors_ac.php
That is the cheapest price you will find for an AC induction starting at 2500 dollars and runs 18 horsepower and includes the inverter controller as a kit.
The range you want will be difficult but not impossible. I would suggest researching Dave Clouds Dolphine car as much as possible. He got a 200 mile range with lead acids in his car.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ultimate-aerodynamic-car-dave-clouds-dolphin-13142.html

Oh yea, almost forgot. Dave converted this car for 3000 dollars. Needless to say that with the limited budget I am also working with, I am studying this car very hard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts