DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I am in Washington State and have had a spare Datsun B210 sitting around stripped for years and thought it might make a good in city electric car. I bought a few books, and have been reading a lot online as well. One thing I am curious about. Why leave the transmission in the vehicle, when you could eliminate it's weight? I thought it might be because you need a reverse, but with a three phase motor, if you reverse 2 of the legs with a dash mounted switch, you get reverse. I understand other DC motors will get damaged if they run in reverse by reversing the poles. I was looking at Plasmaboy's White Zombie, and in the beginning it looks like he had the tranny in, then converted to a direct drive system, with NO reverse. Then added an 'electric reverse'.

So, lets hear it. What am I not seeing other than maintaining the feel of shifting gears. Be gentle. I bruise easy :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Someone advised me to read as much as possible before making decisions. Id like to advice you to do the same. Weigh each pro / cons for YOUR likings and style and application.

//Steven

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
It's kind of like a human on a bicycle. If you are Lance Armstrong, you could handle a single gear bike and still climb hills OK. Even Lance will sweat more and work harder, but he's up to it. The bike is a bit lighter and more efficient, but the human isn't working as efficiently. For the average biker, gears make things much easier.

For the EV, if you go single gear you need expensive AC or generally the successful DC single gear systems have 2 motors, powerful batteries, and a beefy controller. If you want a more affordable 144V DC system, with a single motor, you'll accelerate faster and climb hills better, your motor will run cooler, and you'll save money with multiple gear ratios.
Hey all. I am in Washington State and have had a spare Datsun B210 sitting around stripped for years and thought it might make a good in city electric car. I bought a few books, and have been reading a lot online as well. One thing I am curious about. Why leave the transmission in the vehicle, when you could eliminate it's weight? I thought it might be because you need a reverse, but with a three phase motor, if you reverse 2 of the legs with a dash mounted switch, you get reverse. I understand other DC motors will get damaged if they run in reverse by reversing the poles. I was looking at Plasmaboy's White Zombie, and in the beginning it looks like he had the tranny in, then converted to a direct drive system, with NO reverse. Then added an 'electric reverse'.

So, lets hear it. What am I not seeing other than maintaining the feel of shifting gears. Be gentle. I bruise easy :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts