DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1965 GMC K1000 series truck, I'd guess it weighs somewhere between 3,600-4,000 pounds. Has a 305 V6e with about 142Hp and about 240-260 ft/lbs of torque...doesn't run. Manual transmission as well. What kind of electric motor would I need to power my truck? Or would it be best to consider making it an HEV instead? This is mostly just an idea I had, haven't done anything yet.

Also anyone have a Zap or have any opinions on Zap Xebra's? I was looking at one thought it was kinda cool.

G

·
Motor would need to be at minimum an 11" motor and maybe even a 13". You might even consider a twin 13" GE setup or Warp setup. Lots of batteries and one hell of a controller and charger. Don't bother with HEV. Go either all Gas or All Electric. Not both. Big is very doable and not out of the question but it won't be cheap.

What kind of performance you looking to get and what distance you looking to get realistically.

I rarely ever drive more than 50 miles per day on our local Hwy and the speed limit is 55 and frequently do 60. All flat ground.

Unless you have access to a very large AC motor/inverter don't even think of AC and Regen. Just stick with Good Old DC and put on good Disc brakes all around.

On a McDonalds budget? Not a chance. But it is very possible if you have the funds and time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well if I can get 50 miles out of it that'd be good enough, it wouldn't exactly need to be a highway vehicle but it could be. No chance on minimum wage though, huh?

If that's the case I'll keep the Warp 11 or 13 in mind maybe come back to it one day whenever I'm better off.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Here are some references to weight:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=405606

My thoughts here are that unless you need a big truck, you are better off finding a smaller, lighter truck to convert. You want your starting weight to be as little as possible.

If you're on a McDonald's budget, you have to seriously get any idea of performance out of your mind. I do know a guy who converts Ford Rangers (with curb weight of about 4000) using the HPEVS AC-50 motor connected to manual trans and lead acid. I've driven one and it's pretty sluggish but it can drive on the freeway. But when the voltage drops on the lead batteries as they drain it might not be safe on the freeway. Also, I believe the range is no more than 40miles, maybe closer to 30.

So, it can be done, but you really have to gauge your expectations. Better for a street vehicle with short range.

Also, don't mean to muddy the waters for you, but there are a couple people who have hooked a motor to the drive shaft and thrown a couple batteries in the bed to create a simple hybrid setup, but that assumes you have a working gas engine. Also, I've never done it, just seen a few who have. So, I can't speak to how practical that is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts