DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed the new Manzanita micro manual for the PFC20,30,40 show a new control board with a second RJ45 connector, and 3 additional trim pots.

Looks like you can select 3 voltage settings and 2 current settings based on jumpers on the new remote control port!

I sent them an email to see if this board could be retrofitted to an older model. Seems like this board is more BMS friendly, I like the idea of being able to select different voltages without having to keep track of how many turns I put on the trim pot.

Select low voltage for day to day charging, select high voltage for balancing. You could have the BMS select medium voltage and low current if a cell goes VHC.

The new board is shown on the last page:

http://www.manzanitamicro.com/index.php?option=com_phocadownload&view=category&download=4:20-30-40&id=3&Itemid=82

·
Registered
303 Posts
I bought the updated board about 1 month ago, but the manual just came out... Rich said the updated board will work with the old chargers - I will test this out for the first time this weekend...

·
Registered
303 Posts
The new 4 pin connector is documented as follows:
Pin 1 is for voltage channel “B”. If +12 volts is applied to pin 1 using pin 4 as the
ground, then the charger will accept the peak voltage setting of the RV7 pot.
2. Pin 2 is for voltage channel “C”. If +12 volts is applied to pin 2 using pin 4 as the
ground, then the charger will accept the peak voltage setting of the RV8 pot.
3. Pin 3 is for the optional amperage channel. If +12 volts is applied to pin 3 using
pin 4 as the ground, then the charger’s main “AMPS” knob will be overridden and
amperage setting of the RV9 pot will be substituted.
4. Pin 4 is the ground return line.

So - can I connect pin 4 to the ground/chassis of the car, and then use a 12V signal from the car's wiring? Or does this have to be a separate 12V system isolated from the car's system?

I am concerned because I know the regbus is not isolated...

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
So - can I connect pin 4 to the ground/chassis of the car, and then use a 12V signal from the car's wiring? Or does this have to be a separate 12V system isolated from the car's system?
Sounds risky to me. Both because of the issue you mentioned - AC on the Regbus, and the controller gets its power from the main pack, so you would be adding chassis ground into this circuitry. I know you are not supposed to use chassis ground for a voltage divider into the regbus due to the non-isolation. It is supposed to be between pins1, 2 and 4, to give the voltage input you wish to pin 2 (pin1 is 5V). I would check with Rich before you try it. You may be able to pull 12V from your controller. Mine has an output pin for 12V as well as another for 5V.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you look at the circuitry on the board, perhaps the 12v signals are just energizing a relay for switching between the pots. Perhaps there is an opto-isolator in there? Maybe give Rich a call, I'm sure he would know.

Did the new board come with a new face plate for the enclosure? Got pics?

I am concerned because I know the regbus is not isolated...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts