DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I’m a retired engineer in Toronto and Sudbury Canada and I’m starting to plan an EV conversion this winter. New to EVs but have lots of experience and contacts in ICE classic car restoration. I’ve got a few possible donor cars and one I’m considering is a Rover SD1 ( aka Rover 3500 year 1980 with Rover/Buick V8 unibody construction) perhaps using Hyper 9 and direct connect to the driveshaft or using a torque box or similar to eliminate the Borg Warner automatic. These cars are rare here but very common in the UK but I’ve not come across any other EV conversions of this model. Maybe that’s a sign:) Any advice appreciated.

Also considering converting Jaguar sedans- have a Mk2, Mk 7, Mk9 and Mk10 that might be possible donors.

Thanks for having me and looking forward to participating on the forum.

· Registered
432 Posts
SD1's are one of my all-time favoite cars!
Although you say they're common in the UK, the last sime I saw one was in a junk yard 20 years ago! Unfortunately they just rusted away!
I'm sure there are still some around, driven by enthusiasts though!

The borg-warner Auto Boxes are nice, but like most autos too inefficient for an EV. SD1's were also fitted with LT77 Manual boxes. The same gearbox as Land Rovers, with an extra prop-shaft drive housing coming out the back where it would otherwise mate to the transfer box. These are still available from places like Rimmer Brothers. That would probably be the simplest conversion - just leave it in 2nd or 3rd gear (so you don't need the manual shifter).

Although the Hyper9 is good (I have one) - Nissan Leaf motors seem to be more common in Land Rover conversions. I think they're cheaper overall and a good match for the vehicle - so likely for an SD1 too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts