DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I interested in building a EV conversion project with my 14 yr old son. I'm hoping to convert our 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2WD single cab long bed to electric. Rarely will the truck be used to haul or pull a heavy load. I'll use it mostly as a commuter (30 miles round trip) each day and trash hauler on the weekends. Working in the mechanical engineering field, I fill like this is a project we could handle. Please share any guidance or suggestions that might help get us started........or not:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm starting from a similar position. Looking to convert 1 ton van and with batteries for range 200km (I'm in Au).

I like this channel, tho his videos are a bit old now and tech superceded. He uses forklift motors and a diy ev controller. an option for cheap coversions.

he even shows how to diy motor/gearbox adapter and coupling. I feel the coupling alignment method needs fine tuning to achieve max reliability.

Will Prouse reviews mostly solar and lithium batteries. he has covered a few cheap lithium iron phosphate batteries. I feel there is a sweet spot approaching (if not already) where this battery type will make for a cheap EV power supply.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts