DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I became an accidental EV owner. I was minding my own business, as usual, at a junkyard when as I was leaving all of sudden out of nowhere appeared a white Ford Ranger with an "electric" logo on the fender. Pointing it out to my scavenging buddy as a joke someone must've put on that Ranger we continued walking. Buddy then says "hey what's that connector in the grill"... Well after realizing it was a factory-built Ford Ranger EV and the junkyard people were completely scared of it and had no idea what to do with it, besides "DO NOT LIFT WITH EQUIPMENT" painted on both sides, I did some research and went back and offered them $500. They accepted my offer and we are. Well, that was 2 months ago. Within the first week or two, I realized what I had bought. It was originally a NiMH truck but in 2016 converted to Lithium Titinate battery with, get this.... an ElCon 5kW charger and an Orion BMS! Tried to restore a few completely flat LTO modules with no luck I was able to drive the truck. So, new LiFePo4 cells it would be. After taking that pack and putting it back in and seeing what wiring the BMS was going to be I decided I wanted to do it once and be done.

In the early days, I had no clue what I was doing, it's all documented on my YouTube videos. Please keep in mind, I learned a lot between episode 1 and episode 9.
Here's the link to my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/furriestdog

2000 Ford Ranger EV
Original: NiMH
As Purchased: Lithium Titinate (LTO) 6x pouch cells per module - 23 modules
Now: 106 LiFePo4 CALB100
Expected Range: 100 miles
Speed: 72mph
Motor: 3-ph AC induction (factory)
Charger: ElCon 5kW (after-market, on truck when I bought it)
BMS: Orion Original (after-market, on truck when I bought it)

My experience: working in broadcast TV with electronics and transmitters for 20+ years, a degree in Electrical Engineering Technology, working on cars for 25+ years, good with electronics, test equipment, schematics, wiring, etc, ok with mechanical stuff and fabricating with basic garage tools.

Towing it home:

Wiring mods and ElCon charger

New pack with CALB100 cells

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've just recently (days ago) stumbled into owning a 2000 Ranger EV. Do you have a code scanner you would recommend for a newbie (without an EE degree)? Mine is all stock with the lead acid pack.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts