DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I inherited my dad's 1942 Willys Jeep; she needs an engine...
The plan was to fit a Toyota 4Y engine, but I decided to go electric.
I will mainly use it around town and some off road fun (nothing too rough).
Powering the house would be an extra bonus during load shedding here...
I would really appreciate any advice in terms of motor choice, batteries and controller.
Kind regards,
[email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
That looks awesome!! That will be a fun project.
Here’s a cool similar jeep build:

I am working on a 1953 Jeep:

Let me know if I can answer any questions! Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks awesome!! That will be a fun project.
Here’s a cool similar jeep build:

I am working on a 1953 Jeep:

Let me know if I can answer any questions! Good luck!
Thank you EV Fan, that looks next level!! My build will just be as simple and practical as possible...considering I live in Cape Town South Africa...
We can order most products - it just takes longer and shipping is really expensive...would you recommend a complete kit or rather buying the parts separate?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thank you EV Fan, that looks next level!! My build will just be as simple and practical as possible...considering I live in Cape Town South Africa...
We can order most products - it just takes longer and shipping is really expensive...would you recommend a complete kit or rather buying the parts separate?
I am not aware of a kit specific to your car. With your goals in mind I would copy eWillysBoulder ‘s build. Maybe he could give you a parts list so you could order most the parts at the same time? He was very nice and helpful to me. I would try to just copy his build as close as practicable to avoid any surprises that he hasn’t already worked through. He offered to answer any questions I had. He could probably also provide you a good idea of how much it would cost ahead of time. A potentially cheaper, but uncharted (specific to your application) would be to use Leaf components similar to Rockcrawler or Electric Land Cruiser. paulheystee posted some pictures the other day of a Leaf based Rocky build.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not aware of a kit specific to your car. With your goals in mind I would copy eWillysBoulder ‘s build. Maybe he could give you a parts list so you could order most the parts at the same time? He was very nice and helpful to me. I would try to just copy his build as close as practicable to avoid any surprises that he hasn’t already worked through. He offered to answer any questions I had. He could probably also provide you a good idea of how much it would cost ahead of time. A potentially cheaper, but uncharted (specific to your application) would be to use Leaf components similar to Rockcrawler or Electric Land Cruiser. paulheystee posted some pictures the other day of a Leaf based Rocky build.
Thanks for your advice - a Leaf battery in my country cost about $10 000; I can get same size battery from China for $3 000...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so after some research, the HPEVS AC50 with Curtis controller looks like a good option for my build? The specs are a bit better than the original Willys engine and I can enclose it for off-road driving.
I assume its better to go for a stronger controller than one that can just handle the volts? I am aiming for a 96v battery, so the 96-144 controller is better than the 72-96?
Battery packs I'm looking at 4 Tesla 24v packs (all at the back or perhaps split them 2 at the front and 2 at the back to spread the weight...
I can get a Lithium pack made with cells locally but they are limited in terms of amps..
Nissan Leaf cells are also an option and packs out of salvaged ID3 could also work, but will take up more space...so many decisions...!
I would appreciate any advise from you experienced EV DIYers...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts