DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I'm a new member trying to de-ICE my 2000 Jeep TJ 2.5L manual. I have worked quite a bit on mechanical fixes on this jeep but it's time to get rid of the small 4 banger 2.5L engine and put a AC motor on it.

I will be posting my plan idea and what I'm planning on getting for this project the forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m also at the beginning of my journey with a Jeep TJ. Have u settled on what ac motor you are going to use or what battery system? Maybe we can compare notes. I’m in the midst of putting together some component list, should settle on something in the next week or two.

Have you seen this TJ conversion on YouTube? https://youtu.be/0LIMkmX7Kp0

Looks well done but with a motor that HPEVS has discontinued.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Royus,

Yes I'm happy to share notes and about the Jeep EV link on youtube, I have exchanged a few messages with John. looks like he spent about $19k on his conversion, but I'm thinking that I might be able to get everything done for around $11k to $15K since I might do most of the work myself.

I was thinking about using the NetGain HyPer9 HV AC Motor and X144 Controller Kit 144 Volt from EV west. They said that it might not be enough.

This is what I have so far:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zEhnMEDDt13GNaZMwHdtWcRuSC9l-04gudZyELAsXhc/edit?usp=sharing

·
Registered
3 Posts
That’s great, thanks for sharing. I didn’t realize you posted back, I’ll need to subscribe to this. So I finally sourced my 2006 Wrangler TJ and picking it up on Friday, so excited to get started.

I have similar information in my notepad, which I’ll also turn into a google doc and share out. As for the motor itself, I’ve been talking to people and there’s definitely concerns that the Hyper 9 might not be robust enough. Depending on voltage, I’ve been told to consider DC, and namely the Warp 11 - which with the right controller and voltage can produce ample torque.

I’m not sure I’m “advanced” enough to want to go down the route of using Tesla batteries or a leaf motor. Safety is a top concern of mine so I’m going to go purpose built motors and LFP batteries, understanding that means compromises to power and range dollar for dollar.

Have you thought about how you are going to preserve power steering and power brakes?

Royus,

Yes I'm happy to share notes and about the Jeep EV link on youtube, I have exchanged a few messages with John. looks like he spent about $19k on his conversion, but I'm thinking that I might be able to get everything done for around $11k to $15K since I might do most of the work myself.

I was thinking about using the NetGain HyPer9 HV AC Motor and X144 Controller Kit 144 Volt from EV west. They said that it might not be enough.

This is what I have so far:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zEhnMEDDt13GNaZMwHdtWcRuSC9l-04gudZyELAsXhc/edit?usp=sharing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts