DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I’m new to forum but I’ve been interested in electric vehicle conversions since the early 70’s .
I have a 2000 Ford Focus Wagon I’m thinking of converting to an electric vehicle but all of the conversion kits I’ve seen were only good for 50-60 miles per charge, have anyone else done this conversion with more range than the 50-60 miles? If so which batteries are best for extending the range to that of a Tesla or is that even possible?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
1. Why do you need more range?
2. A worthless car will remain worthless - are you thinking about that as you drop $20 grand into the batteries you need to make 300 miles of totally unnecessary range and weight?
3. There's engineering involved to get to 300 miles. A lot of it. Doubtful you'll find a kit even close, especially for a...Focus. If you expect a turnkey kit, I'm not aware of one.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
I had a Focus wagon of that generation, and found it to be a good car (although built carelessly with questionable parts). I didn't like it enough to want to convert one at higher cost than just buying a used properly designed and factory-built EV.

A large problem - literally - is fitting in all of the required battery. When Ford themselves converted a later generation of the Focus to EV, they used a hatchback and killed the storage capacity with an enormous two-part battery box; the wagon done the same way would have more cargo space behind the battery, but would have an overloaded rear suspension if you used it to carry more more than balloons and foam. Just do a Google search for "Ford Focus Electric battery" images to see what Ford resorted to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. Why do you need more range?
2. A worthless car will remain worthless - are you thinking about that as you drop $20 grand into the batteries you need to make 300 miles of totally unnecessary range and weight?
3. There's engineering involved to get to 300 miles. A lot of it. Doubtful you'll find a kit even close, especially for a...Focus. If you expect a turnkey kit, I'm not aware of one.
I live 40 miles from the closest city that’s big enough to have anything like a grocery store or clothes shop as far as why I was thinking of converting a focus is if I mess it up no big loss but if I were to try converting my 1st generation Trooper and mess it up that would be a great loss.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Remy and Brian make good points. The Focus was designed around its ICE powertrain. When Ford was making a Focus EV, with all their resources, they elected to jam the batteries into the cargo area because there wasn't a designed area for a battery pack.

You would get much more bang for your buck selling the Focus and buying a used Chevy Volt or Nissan Leaf (or similar).

Also, if it were affordable or easy to give cars long range like the upper end Teslas, every automaker would be doing it. The tradeoff for big batteries is cost and weight. In the case of a conversion it is also a question of where to put it all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts