DIY Electric Car Forums banner

754 Views 2 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  TomStr
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum. Are there many people from Europe here? I'm interested in the legal procedures necessary to register a car with engine swapped from gas to electric one. Maybe, someone has an idea of how to register such a car in european union
Thank you!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
5,367 Posts
There are, it's been done, all you need is money, time, skills, and knowledge.

The legal procedures are a gate, seem to be country specific (which you've left off identifying, suspiciously, almost sounding like a Yank in your posting), but not a barrier -- just follow the rules.

First step after go/nogo is not to be a lawyer, but to do some engineering. Lawyers and fossils activists tend to f up everything they touch, and take glee in peeing in the pool of EV progress (New York State just passed a Right to Repair law, and manufacturers are still whining idiotically about "copyrighted code", "IP", etc as they shut down dealerships...will we see CAN Bus messaging documented?).

What car, how much money, range, performance, resources, etc.?

And what country, of course, to see if you have bros/sisters that have been there done that.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are, it's been done, all you need is money, time, skills, and knowledge.

The legal procedures are a gate, seem to be country specific (which you've left off identifying, suspiciously, almost sounding like a Yank in your posting), but not a barrier -- just follow the rules.

First step after go/nogo is not to be a lawyer, but to do some engineering. Lawyers and fossils activists tend to f up everything they touch, and take glee in peeing in the pool of EV progress (New York State just passed a Right to Repair law, and manufacturers are still whining idiotically about "copyrighted code", "IP", etc as they shut down dealerships...will we see CAN Bus messaging documented?).

What car, how much money, range, performance, resources, etc.?

And what country, of course, to see if you have bros/sisters that have been there done that.
The reason I didn't mention the country is that I live in Cyprus but thinking over possibility to register the swapped car in continental Europe (say, Germany).
The plan is to buy 2015-2017 E-class under 25k euro and swap to electric engine for high performance, spending (if it's possible) no more than 15k.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts