DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just registered on the site and thought I'd do a bit of intro. I'm a 58 year old, IT Director, living in Western Kentucky. Been interested in alternative energy since the early 70s. Back then, I even bought plans for a DIY 75 MPG Hybrid Electric Car from Mother Earth News (plans are still available from them). Never built it.

In 1986 we moved to western Kentucky and built our earth sheltered, passive solar home on our 10 acres. For the past 20 years our supplemental heat has been wood, until last year when I installed a bio-mass stove (pellets, corn, etc.)

I am now toying with the idea of getting back to experimenting with EVs. I am presently restoring a 1953 Chevy pickup and I am now thinking about making it either an EV or a hybrid. It appears to have a lot going for it as a conversion vehicle: about the same curb weight as an S10, very simple accessory electrical system (basically just lights), and it's already torn down to the frame.

I'm probably going to be a pest asking questions, but am looking forward to interacting with the folks here.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Welcome Jeff,
Great to have you on board, and don't worry pest-like questions are our speciality! The more questions the more we all end up knowing so ask away. Sounds like you have the makings of a great conversion in the works!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Gidday Jeff!
Your home sounds fantastic. I'd love to have a setup like that one day. Independant and clean. I'd also like to grow our own fruit/veges one day. Next time I'm in Kentucky (don't hold your breath though!) I'd love to check it out!

Oh and welcome aboard!
:)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome, guys. KiwiEV, as the folks around these parts say, "Ya'll come".

I'm looking forward to participating in the discussions.

By the way, here's an old (2001) picture of our house.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jeff, good job in pursuing greenness!

I talked to ohio by phone after learning that I live relatively close to him.

I began looking into EV's about twenty years ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts