DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
6,489 Posts
Or you could throw the Hyper9 away and get a normal 9 inch forklift motor which will produce more than enough torque and rpms for a great machine at a fraction of the cost

·
Administrator
6,489 Posts
Hi Kilo

They take a bit of finding but there are lots of forklift motors out there for scrap metal prices - I have bought a total of four ranging from $100 to $200

·
Administrator
6,489 Posts
Duncan,

I assume that's with a transmission and in first or second? Either way, impressive! I am hoping to avoid that though. Prefer to not break the wheels loose... It would be cool to be able to for showing off, but nowhere near a design goal.
Nope - direct drive to a Hitachi forklift motor - no gearbox

And - this may be relevant - through a Subaru LSD

·
Administrator
6,489 Posts
Hi Kilomike

I started with a Subaru diff - complete Subaru back end - and front end as well!

But EVSpitfire is talking about putting a Subaru diff in a Spitfire - which sounds to me like a very god idea!

Don't know how much torque - I have bought some nice new sticky rear tyres "Nitto" - they say "recommended not for highway use" on the sidewalls - and the damn thing still breaks them lose - but a lot more controllably

I am feeding my Hitachi with 1200 amps and 340 volts - and I did kill my first one at the Drags last march - but I got another for $150 (and a "spare" for $200)

·
Administrator
6,489 Posts
Hi Kevin

You need to find where the forklifts go - there will be electric forklifts at places that do food or soft goods
Anything that would be spoiled by some exhaust soot

Find out who repairs them - and then visit - email and telephone are no good
You need to talk to the oily rags who do the work - they are the ones who will have stored up some motors "just in case" - you will require beer or folding money - or both to prize them loose

It took me quite a while to find our local elephants graveyard!

A decent motor is about 100 kg - and is an awkward heavy object that is normally only worth scrap metal value - $200

Which is why e-bay is no use

I'm at the bottom of South Island - our nearby "big City" is about 50,000 people - I'm sure that there will be a lot more where you are

·
Administrator
6,489 Posts
Hi Molten

The extra voltage helps the rpm - not so much the current

At one stage I had my controller set to 1000 amps but a 130v battery

It still took off like a scalded rat - but it was speed limited - as in full throttle gave me 100 kph - just

It only takes a few volts to get 1000 amps at zero rpm but the back EMF rapidly rises and at about 3500 rpm the 130v could only push 200 amps through the motor

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.