DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, I’ve been a member here for quite awhile now but I’ve not kept up. I do hope to visit more and learn about EV technology plus I would like to get going with a project. I hope the good people on here will be patient with some dumb questions I might have since I really don’t know anything about EV. I was a drag racer for 38 years and I have some interest in how to build performance for possibly drag racing but I’m not opposed to street legal. Hopefully I can also be able to help. I would love to contribute.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Right now I’m thinking about doing a conversion on a car or small SUV. I like rear wheel drive so maybe an older S-10, Sonoma, etc. something I can drive to the drag strip. I have a ‘98 Chevy short box single cab full size but I don’t know if the heavy weight would be a problem. I need to learn about batteries, controls, motors, conversion kits. The thought of having a smooth, quiet vehicle and not have to worry about gas, exhaust, oil changes, plugs, wires and so on is very appealing.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thank you. Right now I’m thinking about doing a conversion on a car or small SUV. I like rear wheel drive so maybe an older S-10, Sonoma, etc. something I can drive to the drag strip. I have a ‘98 Chevy short box single cab full size but I don’t know if the heavy weight would be a problem. I need to learn about batteries, controls, motors, conversion kits. The thought of having a smooth, quiet vehicle and not have to worry about gas, exhaust, oil changes, plugs, wires and so on is very appealing.
I'm actually doing something very similar. I'm converting a 2010 Ford Escape. Originally I wanted an older jeep cherokee ('97-'01), but I couldn't find any that weren't completely rusted. Manual transmissions are preferred so that you don't need to do a lot of fabrication and can just bolt the motor onto the transmission.

The two most important questions are generally:
  1. What's your budget?
  2. How much range do you want?
A heavier truck will make it less efficient and require you to use more batteries for the same range compared to a lighter truck, so that's important to keep in mind.

One other website I would recommend is www.EVAlbum.com. There are loads of conversions listed on there, and a number of Chevy S-10s. It might be helpful to just get a sense of what you can expect from a conversion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm actually doing something very similar. I'm converting a 2010 Ford Escape. Originally I wanted an older jeep cherokee ('97-'01), but I couldn't find any that weren't completely rusted. Manual transmissions are preferred so that you don't need to do a lot of fabrication and can just bolt the motor onto the transmission.

The two most important questions are generally:
  1. What's your budget?
  2. How much range do you want?
A heavier truck will make it less efficient and require you to use more batteries for the same range compared to a lighter truck, so that's important to keep in mind.

One other website I would recommend is www.EVAlbum.com. There are loads of conversions listed on there, and a number of Chevy S-10s. It might be helpful to just get a sense of what you can expect from a conversion.
Good information. Thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts