DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this EV stuff. Live in Nova Scotia, Canada. Don't plan on using it in the winter, after the winter we just had, to heck with that. Smart 1 is just going to be a local commuter. Have built lots of other machines, boats, rebuilt trucks and cars.
I have two 2006 Smart Cars that I'm going to convert. I have bought a used motor and controller for the first one but I'm going to buy all new for the 2nd. Does anyone know the Thrige motors? The motor I bought has the cooling fan fins all broken off. Where would a fellow locate a new fan? Did some searching but they don't seem real popular.
The motor is, Thrige Electric, Part# - 8509399, Serial# - 3769204 0238, ??# - 254133D, Type - TS??90B 75AA CB, Volts - 36/48, Kw - 8.5/12.5 (Question marks denote missing damaged digits on label)

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Not too common; Thrige Motors. Rings a bell somewhere in my memory. Looks like they make some industrial and forklift type DC motors. Some photos would be nice. You can consider nixing the shaft mounted fan and using a remote mounted ducted blower.

Welcome,

major

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pictures of Thrige motor attached. I like the blower idea. I suppose one could tie that into a temp sensor to turn it off/on. I'm also thinking that it would allow me to draw air from a cleaner area. Thanks for the tip.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Welcome! Should be a fun project for you- but why TWO?

Batteries will be key of course.

Yabert's fine thread will be of much interest to you.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why Two? After having immense problems with the first one trying to get the diesel and auto shift manual tranny to work I wondered myself. I bought the 2nd one for parts but gave up on the diesel and all the lousy computer stuff. Traded my 2 diesels, all my spare parts and the part Smart for another Smart. So now I have 2 to convert. Doing the 1st al-cheapo to get my feet wet then, bolstered with my success ;-) and having sold it and my 47 Ford I'm doing the 2nd up all high tech and luxurious. That's the plan anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts