DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening All,

New to the forums here and EVs in general but not new to the automotive world - current daily is an MB 2004 SL500 with all maintenance, repairs & upgrades of the past 4 years being done at home. Anyway, I'd had my eye on a 1993 325is for some time now and managed to score it pretty cheap a few months back. 5-speed manual tranny and overall immaculate interior and exterior condition for being 25 years old. Unfortunately about a week after I bought the thing I shattered my left ankle and likely will not be able to drive a stick for quite some time, and thus the dream of converting an already gorgeous car to something fun, fast and quiet is born. Price really isn't an object at the moment as I'm just getting into the electric side of things, but I know a decent system that doesn't compromise power or performance will cost some money.

Overall I've seen the EV West E36 conversion with dual WarP 9s and am still swooning lol. I've seen a few posts on here about the availablity and usability of Nissan Leaf parts in other conversions, as well as checked out Damien Maguire's Hacked Up E36 EV Build but was curious about issues I might run into using an older generation E36 versus the one that he uses in his 10 part youtube series.

Generally if anyone has any experience with this older generation E36, or any similar 90's era BMW engines for EV conversions I'd greatly appreciate a point in the right direction or any information that could be spared.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
Doesn't really matter what the engine was, as you'll be removing it anyway, no?

I wouldn't trust EV West anymore, just FYI.

Depends on your budget and your performance demands.

You can do a DC motor, a salvaged EV motor, a salvaged hybrid motor or transaxle, a salvaged hybrid differential motor, an AC motor, etc.

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
Doesn't really matter what the engine was, as you'll be removing it anyway, no?
I had the same thought, but based on this...
Anyway, I'd had my eye on a 1993 325is for some time now and managed to score it pretty cheap a few months back. 5-speed manual tranny and overall immaculate interior and exterior condition for being 25 years old.
... I assume that the appeal of this specific vehicle is its condition, not its engine. The rest of the references are to the E36 series in general.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.