DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys really enjoying the read. I want to build an electric car maybe a small pickup but no money right now . I have a real project that not my money would be involved, my father and I would like to turn our little Thomas bobcat 3 cylinder engine to electric. I'm 32 and been diesel mechanic for 10years so fabricating and custom is not a problem. Where should I start and how much money would be involved?

Envoyé de mon LG-D852 en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I assume that you're talking about a skid-steer loader.

I think you need to decide whether you are
  1. replacing the hydraulic motors that run the tracks with electric motors (and working out suitable controls), or
  2. keeping all of the hydraulics and just running the pump(s) with an electric motor instead of an engine.
This decision will affect
  • motor choice
  • all of the controls
  • how much space is left for the battery

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume that you're talking about a skid-steer loader.

I think you need to decide whether you are
  1. replacing the hydraulic motors that run the tracks with electric motors (and working out suitable controls), or
  2. keeping all of the hydraulics and just running the pump(s) with an electric motor instead of an engine.
This decision will affect
  • motor choice
  • all of the controls
  • how much space is left for the battery
Want to keep the stock hydrolic since we already invested a lot in it and the motor drive to the pump is so simple that swapping the engine is really simple! How much HP would I need ? Battery don't bother too much because I'll not need a lot of autonomy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should I start a new thread elsewhere? I want to be pointed some reading and some help about what I need, cost where to look locally for used stuff etc... If people point me indispensable thread or books I'll read them. I have a great understanding of a DC system but have a lot to learn!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts