DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys/gals

im new to this and have electronic/electrical knowhow and would like thoughts of people on this????

i want an electric car to do the commuter run. round trip 44 miles, im a shift worker so the roads are allways queite. could easily cruise at 50mph from my front door to work with a only handfull of break appicaltions.

Car - was thinking fiat cinquencto 550kg curb weight or ford ka 850kg

Motor - second hand forklift motor 7 - 10 kw 48volts to be driven at 72 volts.

Controller - homemade PWM about 500 amps

Batterys - was going to do standard car starting batts but was told these are not suitable.. found these deep cycle batts on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260582508741&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

and thought 12 of these batt to make 72volts @ 225ah

want the convertion to be as cheap as poss to start with just to test the theroy. if it works ill will porbably buy a newer version of the car or even lith-ion batts etc

All thoughts are welcome and thanks for reading!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply.

have been looking at 12v 40amp/h life04 batterys

12vx8 X2 to give a pack of 96v at 80amp/h

at 250watt/mile do you think this would do 45 miles?

thanks

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
nope, you're gonna need at least a 10kwh pack of batteries, and thats on the low side and with a light weight car with low aero drag at lower speeds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your 250 watt is only 1/3 hp. I fear you are a long way short of what you will need. Acceleration and moderate to high speed is what needs the kilowatts!

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
He said 250 watt per mile, but I believe he meant 250Wh/Mi. So it isn't 250W of power. The units should have been Watt-Hour per Mile.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts