DIY Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
These batteries are of a similar type to those being used in off grid home power solutions. I am currently monitoring the Lifepo4 market at the moment for that reason. I can tell you that as each new battery model comes out, the older ones drop significantly in price. It is a fast moving market.

For example, the release of the latest 304ah Lifepo4 batteries instantly caused the superseded 280ah models to drop in price. Currently you can save around 25 to 33% in value by choosing the 280ah model. So older models like the ones mentioned in the op can be bought for very low prices.

Also, the latest models are all being set up extremely successfully to charge to 3.45v and working down to 2.8v... with very little degradation. If you want to operate between 2.5 and 3.7v as the specs say, they will work, and you might drain another 5ahrs out of each pack, but your expected battery life will plummet 100s if not 1000s of cycles.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Which manufacturer's models are you referring to there? Purchase links?

There are huge quality differences between the genuine Grade-A output of the top tier makers, and the non-name and/or counterfeit and/or factory reject stuff sold "cheaply" via Ali

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks. I’m now sufficiently wary of unknown sources.

I really like the idea of seeing what I can do with my old but not too worn leaf cells. This is likely a three year project. I can build a new pack in four years with lower cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wary is ok.. wary is how we all should be when purchasing online.

I can suggest checking out this guy's youtube channel. He is a German/Australian called Andy. He has many videos on his home system using similar batteries sourced primarily through Alibaba.

I have especially found his in depth analysis of battery balancing particularly helpful as he uses three different BMSs on three different 16S battery packs. He also has videos explaining his experiences dealing with Alibaba suppliers... highlighting that his concerns were just the same as mine... and he even goes through the exact costs he incurred.

He also has a website with links through Alibaba, eBay and even Amazon (if you want to deal with them) for not just the batteries and other equipment, but the tools he uses as well. I have found his content both enjoyable and informative.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts