DIY Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Which manufacturer's models are you referring to there? Purchase links?

There are huge quality differences between the genuine Grade-A output of the top tier makers, and the non-name and/or counterfeit and/or factory reject stuff sold "cheaply" via Ali

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks. I’m now sufficiently wary of unknown sources.

I really like the idea of seeing what I can do with my old but not too worn leaf cells. This is likely a three year project. I can build a new pack in four years with lower cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wary is ok.. wary is how we all should be when purchasing online.

I can suggest checking out this guy's youtube channel. He is a German/Australian called Andy. He has many videos on his home system using similar batteries sourced primarily through Alibaba.

I have especially found his in depth analysis of battery balancing particularly helpful as he uses three different BMSs on three different 16S battery packs. He also has videos explaining his experiences dealing with Alibaba suppliers... highlighting that his concerns were just the same as mine... and he even goes through the exact costs he incurred.

He also has a website with links through Alibaba, eBay and even Amazon (if you want to deal with them) for not just the batteries and other equipment, but the tools he uses as well. I have found his content both enjoyable and informative.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I was talking to a good friend yesterday who reminded me he's a part-owner of an auto dismantling business. He says that I can just ask for whatever battery I wanted and he can either wait for it or order it and he'd give me a fair price. You can order a trashed car? Learn something every day! Now that i have a very large battery box, about 10' long, under the truck, I can dream big. He also said Prius batteries are very easy to get. I'm especially interested in water cooled batteries since that will make it easier. I've got on my list to investigate:

• Tesla Model S - highly available.
  • Tesla Model Y - hard to find, I haven't yet even found dimensional specs on them other than they're very long. These look very interesting from the pictures. It looks like it takes 5 cells for a pack.

Air cooled or require liquid adaptation
  • Leaf, LG Chem Super Cell, CALB
  • Prius, easy to buy, but I need a fan, LOL.

I'll post all my comparisons here.

What battery would you suggest I look for? Do you have dimensions, etc?
Anybody have specs for the Model Y batteries?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Model 3/Y takes 4 modules. Two longs, two shorts. IIRC, there are some models on Grabcad.

LG (like Bolt, Mach-E) modules are designed for liquid cooling, unlike the Leaf. Bring your own plumber & cooling plate.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ok, turns out that Remy's suggestion fits quite well in my truck. So i didn't do much more than that. If the price isn't a scam of some sort (my ebay experiences are few and unsatisfactory), this has the best $/kwhr.

Tesla Model 3/Y batteries
  • Four long modules, 2 longer, 2 shorter
  • 6'4" long, 11" wide (or was it 13"?)
  • Ebay "buy it now" price < $10,000 - can this be real?
  • 75 kw-hr

You can find the CAD for two modules in a mocked up battery shelf on grabcad. Thanks much to DIY'ers!!

I hope my pdf attachment sticks.

Attachments

21 - 28 of 28 Posts