DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I am all new to the EV conversion world. I know all my questions could be answered by going through the enormous wealth of information on this site, but I thought I would introduce my plans here, and embed some questions that knowledgable people could answer if the fell like it.
My plan is to convert my Volvo 3314…Not many people know what that is, but it is a small military truck, the size of a Series Landrover. It has the engine placed between the seats, with a standard Volvo Amazon gearbox behind it, and a transfer case beside it.
Since I do not have the know how to put together a complete package, I am considering getting a conversion kit without adapters etc. As it looks, that will set me back 15k$ All included which is a bit steep, considering value of finished product.
I guess what I want to ask, is if there is a tool or guide, to put together a working package myself? (Motor, Controller, batteries, charger, etc).
Then there is the mechanical part of the build. The easiest way as far as I can tell, is to retain gearbox and clutch, and drive as normal. I am however trying to calculate if it is possible to connect the motor without the gearbox. This would probably require a reduction gearbox, which I would have calculate. The maximum speed will be 60mph, so should be possible with one gear.
Another option that i have seen used, is using a motor unit with built in diff, turn it 90degrees, and drive one axle from each drive shaft flange.
There are of course many other considerations at the current stage, but should be quite a straight forward build, as the vehicle is from 1963. Looking forward to read about other builds in here.
Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Sky

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
198 Posts
Super cool vehicle! My neighbor years ago had one. Check out my build for some ideas. I am retaining the 4x4 transfer case in my vehicle and ditching the transmission. Instead of a kit you could buy a Nissan Leaf and Resolve-EV controller for much less. That's also what I did.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Interesting project. :)
The closest that I have seen to this in this forum is
Planning 1975 Volvo c304 electric expedition camper
The C304 is the 6X6 variant of the C303, which is the bigger and heavier successor to the Laplander L3314. The L3314 is a bit more conventional, as it has variants of common Dana 44 axles. Much of the C304 discussion is related to a possible hybrid system or specific to the 6X6 configuration, so it won't be applicable to this project.

Mechanically, despite the forward-control body layout, this is like many other 4X4 conversion projects.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
It has the engine placed between the seats, with a standard Volvo Amazon gearbox behind it, and a transfer case beside it.
As with any conventional 4X4 the transfer case will be behind the transmission (gearbox), and extending to one side. In this case it appears (from various published specs) to be a ZF VG 50.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your input. I will check out the landcruiser project and other 4x4 projects in here. If I am do ditch the transmission, I will need some form of reduction, then onto the transfer case. I have not made the calculations yet, but I suppose it would be somerhing to simulate maybe something between 2nd and third on the M40 transmission. But the reduction gears I can find are around 4000$, so might just keep my first build simple, and leave the transmission in.
I am still fascinated by the idea of turning a motor/diff unit 90 degrees and thereby ditching both transmission and transfer case. Some change in the motor unit would have to be done to match revs to desired wheel speed.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
I am still fascinated by the idea of turning a motor/diff unit 90 degrees and thereby ditching both transmission and transfer case. Some change in the motor unit would have to be done to match revs to desired wheel speed.
Yes, I was working on that...
The rotated transverse production EV unit approach has, in general, four issues:
  1. the gearing will be wrong, as the outputs will be geared down too much to also go through the axle reductions
    • for a Tesla large drive unit (only), Zero EV and others offer a gear ratio change kit
    • the axles are apparently Salisbury units based on the Dana 44 design, so replacement ring-and-pinion sets with different ratios should be available... maybe the tallest ratio would work for the large tires and limited top speed of the vehicle, even with stock drive unit gearing?
  2. splitting drive to front and rear:
    • if the transfer case is used, the EV drive unit differential must be locked to use only a single output, and the combined offset from the centreline of drive unit and transfer case will be too much
    • if the transfer case is not used, the EV drive unit differential will provide inter-axle differentiation (good, it give you full-time AWD) but no way to lock that when required off-road
      • a spool would prevent on-road driving, unless a disconnect of some sort were added for one axle
  3. the EV drive unit axle outputs will be inline, and while the shaft to the front is essentially always offset to one side, the shaft to the rear is often on centre, so one shaft or the other won't line up with the drive unit
    • the L3314 looks like it might have both front and rear shafts offset (to the passenger/right side), in line with each other, and if so then there's no problem :)
  4. the EV drive unit would need to be rotated in the way which puts the output off to the correct side, which may require it to run in reverse all of the time
    • this may not be an issue, depending on drive unit
    • again, Zero EV and others offer an oil pump conversion to handle the reversed rotation
    • any drive unit which mounts the motor ahead of the axle line (e.g. Nissan Leaf) when turned to put the outputs on the right-hand side (as required by the L3314) would rotate the output shafts counter-clockwise when viewed from the rear, which should be correct for most vehicles :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Brian.

A lot of valuable info. The one in the Jalopnik article is exactly the same as mine. The “Feltvogn” (Fieldwagon) was the Norwegian model. The original Swedish version was nicknamed “Valp”(Puppy).
I suppose someting like the Leaf unit would be a good fit, as the Tesla units have way too much power for my use.
It will be used as a summerhouse run about. and not seeing much offroad action, besides backing the boat trailer across the beach. 60 mile range would do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting project to follow.
Good luck with the Valpen.
Why not contact Isak at Resolve?
Perhaps this build can give you a few tips as well:

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
I suppose someting like the Leaf unit would be a good fit, as the Tesla units have way too much power for my use.
Lots of peak power isn't a problem - you don't have to use it. ;) But yes, the Leaf seems like a more obvious fit. Also, it's more practical to detach a Leaf motor from its transaxle than it is to separate a Tesla motor from its transaxle, due to the way the housings and shafts are designed, in case you want to use the motor with the original transmission or other reduction gearbox, rather than the stock transaxle.

It will be used as a summerhouse run about. and not seeing much offroad action, besides backing the boat trailer across the beach. 60 mile range would do.
Moderate expectations are good!
Keeping a 4WD configuration, with the availability of either a locked centre differential or some equivalent, would certainly be desirable on the beach.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all.
I am all new to the EV conversion world. I know all my questions could be answered by going through the enormous wealth of information on this site, but I thought I would introduce my plans here, and embed some questions that knowledgable people could answer if the fell like it.
My plan is to convert my Volvo 3314…Not many people know what that is, but it is a small military truck, the size of a Series Landrover. It has the engine placed between the seats, with a standard Volvo Amazon gearbox behind it, and a transfer case beside it.
Since I do not have the know how to put together a complete package, I am considering getting a conversion kit without adapters etc. As it looks, that will set me back 15k$ All included which is a bit steep, considering value of finished product.
I guess what I want to ask, is if there is a tool or guide, to put together a working package myself? (Motor, Controller, batteries, charger, etc).
Then there is the mechanical part of the build. The easiest way as far as I can tell, is to retain gearbox and clutch, and drive as normal. I am however trying to calculate if it is possible to connect the motor without the gearbox. This would probably require a reduction gearbox, which I would have calculate. The maximum speed will be 60mph, so should be possible with one gear.
Another option that i have seen used, is using a motor unit with built in diff, turn it 90degrees, and drive one axle from each drive shaft flange.
There are of course many other considerations at the current stage, but should be quite a straight forward build, as the vehicle is from 1963. Looking forward to read about other builds in here. View attachment 123614
Interesting project. Check out Zack Nelson. He’s converting a 4wd Hummer. Similar issues I imagine.
Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Following that project closely😄. But that driveline alone is over 30k $ I think…😬

1 - 12 of 12 Posts