DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1990 4runner v6 4x4 auto - 1990 Montero v6 3.0lt. 4x4 5spd manual - 1984 Patrol inline 6 4x4 5spd
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, greetings from Santiago, Chile.
I’ve been surfing the forums on EV conversions for a few months since the engine died in my 1990 Mitsubishi Montero 3.0 gasoline 4x4 5spd manual.

From what I researched the cheapest and easiest way was the DC forklift motor.
Turns out forklifts here are diesel or propane and there are no salvage electric or hybrid parts available either.
Well I decided to go AC for regenerative braking and other advantages, but kits from ev companies are too expensive and I think not powerful enough to move this 2000kg brick shaped truck.

I’ve been looking for a salvaged leaf motor and parts in the US for my conversion. Any Ideas???

Now the automatic transmission died in my 1990 Toyota 4runner 4x4. Watching Damien McGuire's videos (highly recommended) I found his GS450h conversion.
Now that my EV will be my daily driver, I will probably convert the 4runner that is in better shape. (Montero not actual foto)
1.- I want to know if it if feasible to use the Lexus GS600h or L 110f transmission to keep 4wd?.
2.- The 3.slow engine in the 4runner is in good shape and I was wondering if it could be made a Hybrid with this trans.
3.- Looking for any suggestions and ideas.

Caco

PS I am interested in keeping 4x4 but not necessary.
Performance over range so I can add batteries later.
I have a 4 km steep climb to get home.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
1.- I want to know if it if feasible to use the Lexus GS600h or L 110f transmission to keep 4wd?
That seems likely, if the transfer case of the L110F is on the same side of the vehicle as the original transfer case of the 4Runner. The L110F in the GS660h doesn't have high and low range gearing, so it wouldn't have quite the same functionality as the original 4Runner transfer case.

2.- The 3.slow engine in the 4runner is in good shape and I was wondering if it could be made a Hybrid with this trans.
Yes, but it may not bolt up directly to the L110/L110F, and working out the controls would be a challenge.

·
Registered
1990 4runner v6 4x4 auto - 1990 Montero v6 3.0lt. 4x4 5spd manual - 1984 Patrol inline 6 4x4 5spd
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That seems likely, if the transfer case of the L110F is on the same side of the vehicle as the original transfer case of the 4Runner. The L110F in the GS660h doesn't have high and low range gearing, so it wouldn't have quite the same functionality as the original 4Runner transfer case.

Just checked, the A340h auto trans on the 4runner has tranfer case on the passenger side and L110F has it on the driver.
I can live live without Low and it looks will have to go without 4x4. (GS450H)
The Montero has the transfer on the drivers side.

Yes, but it may not bolt up directly to the L110/L110F, and working out the controls would be a challenge.
Working out the controls is electrical engineering stuff way over my head, If someone says ,change this board and solder that there is as far as I go. Besides the 3.0 is heavy, slow and a gas guzzler.
So y will discard the Hybrid idea.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since I have to find the parts internationally and import everything, I will try to get motors and controllers for both.
What would be the best set up for each of these vehicles.
I would like good performance over range.
The 4runner would be a daily driver and would need 40km range to start with.
The Montero can be more to play around with and is not urgent.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My budget is around 10k US for both, batteries not included.
HELP

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
209 Posts
Looks good, besides the battery pack BMS and chargers Any other mayor electronic parts needed.
The add says " but we do have one 2012 as of 1-7-21 (has modular inverter)."
Is this something I want?
Probably would need a contactor as well. The nice thing about that kit they're selling they've already done some rewiring to use those parts in a conversion, and I think they added something too. Either way, if you have any doubt you should reach out to them and ask what else may be needed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This could fit directly to the manual transmission in the Montero?
Do you know what kind of performance can be squeezed out of this motor
Or what kind of kwh/km I could expect to get out of this 2000kg brick?
Thanks for the tip cricketo, I will contact them for more information seems they have other kits too.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think Leaf drivetrain pushes 200HP, so it would have a very reasonable performance for your vehicle if your battery can handle that. 200HP is about 150kW, or 375A at 400VDC. It's not going work that hard full time though, but I'd say it's safe to say you'd get only 500-600Wh per mile, as opposed to Leaf being about 300Wh. In other words if you manage to squeeze in the original 24kWh Leaf pack into your vehicle, you'll get about 60-70km of range.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Excellent information thanks.
As to hooking directly to my 4x4 transmission?
I was reading Electric Land Cruiser's project and he's just using his transfer case and is looking for a reducción gear.
Is that because we don't need that many gears?

·
Registered
209 Posts
When it comes to the mechanics of cars I am pretty clueless :) Other folks may answer the transmission questions...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
(y)

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
The add says " but we do have one 2012 as of 1-7-21 (has modular inverter)."
Is this something I want?
All Leaf drive units, like most EVs which place the motor where the engine was in the vehicle on which they were based, stack the inverter, charger, and other electrical components on top of the motor. In the Leaf, the inverter is directly on top of the motor, and a second unit containing the charger and other functions sits on top of the inverter. In a very early Leaf like this the motor, inverter, and extra unit are connected by external cables; in a later Leaf each component plugs directly into the one below it, eliminating the high-voltage cabling between them.

The later configuration is more tidy, but with the early configuration it is easier to locate the inverter and extra unit somewhere else, since you can just make longer cables. To someone wanting to put the motor under a floor, or even just under lower hood than the Leaf has, the early configuration is easier to work with.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
This could fit directly to the manual transmission in the Montero?
No electric motor just bolts on to a transmission that was intended for an engine. A housing adapter connects the housings together and supports them; a shaft coupler connects the output of the motor to the input of the transmission. There are adapter and coupler kits for old motors commonly used for EV conversions, but not for mounting a motor salvaged from a modern EV to an unrelated transmission... although some parts are just now becoming available.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
As to hooking directly to my 4x4 transmission?
I was reading Electric Land Cruiser's project and he's just using his transfer case and is looking for a reducción gear.
Is that because we don't need that many gears?
Right - the electric motor can produce the desired power over a wide speed range, so not so many choices of gear ratio are required. Almost all production EVs have only a single ratio. Electric Land Cruiser is looking for a reduction gearbox because the speed that the motor typically needs to run is much higher than the original transmission output speed, so a gearbox with one fixed ratio is needed for adequate performance with most motors.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Do you know what kind of performance can be squeezed out of this motor
I think Leaf drivetrain pushes 200HP, so it would have a very reasonable performance for your vehicle if your battery can handle that. 200HP is about 150kW, or 375A at 400VDC.
There hasn't been much change (if any) in the Leaf motor from the original version to the latest, but the rated output has gone from 80 kW to 110 kW to 150 kW. While the inverter may have changed, the real reason for the change is that the motor power limitation has always been how much power the battery can supply. As newer versions of the Leaf have been equipped with higher-capacity batteries, the controller has been programmed to allow higher and higher motor power.

The problem with assuming that all Leaf motors can reasonably produce 150 kW is that the controller in the inverter won't allow that if it came in a car with a smaller battery. Getting more power than the rating of the car that the controller/inverter came out of depends on replacing the controller logic board... as well as having a large enough battery. In a Leaf, only the version with the 62 kWh battery is rated for 150 kW.

And with the stock battery the controller will never get 400 VDC - that's the maximum charging voltage. The battery voltage will be lower, nominally 360 V and lower than that when less than half charged. For instance, nearly fully discharged the battery might be at 320 V and about 500 A will be required to produce 150 kW, considering some power loss due to less than perfect efficiency.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Right - the electric motor can produce the desired power over a wide speed range, so not so many choices of gear ratio are required. Almost all production EVs have only a single ratio. Electric Land Cruiser is looking for a reduction gearbox because the speed that the motor typically needs to run is much higher than the original transmission output speed, so a gearbox with one fixed ratio is needed for adequate performance with most motors.
The Transmission can take the high RPMs ok?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
4wd would work ?
Gear reduction goes before the transfer case? Sorry for the stupid question.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
The Transmission can take the high RPMs ok?
If you're using a multi-speed transmission (such as the one originally in the vehicle), you don't need to use a very high motor speed, so the transmission doesn't see any higher input speed than it would with an engine. It's only necessary to use a very high motor speed if you have only a one fixed gear ratio, so the motor must cover a wide range of speeds to accommodate the varying speed of the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts