DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! New kid on the block from Phoenix, AZ. I've been super excited planning to buying an old VW Beetle (one of my favorite cars since I was a kid) and fixing it up as a project car with my hubby.

After seeing an ad for a giveaway of a classic bug powered by Tesla batteries I almost died of excitement and curiosity. That led me down the rabbit hole of researching DIY electric conversions. I never knew this world existed! So here I am, trying to gather any and every idea, tip, and morsel of knowledge that I possibly can to not only get my dream project car, but turn it into a green energy vehicle. I. CAN'T. WAIT!

PS - We don't know much about cars or engines but I think we can learn. Hubby is an electrical engineer and I consider myself to be a fast learner :)

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
That "giveaway" is actually a lottery - I suggest avoiding that, but in this case it's good that it triggered awareness of this style of conversion. :)

Air-cooled VWs (and related Porsches) are one of the most common targets of conversions, so there's lots of information available. Have fun!

·
Registered
79 Posts
The old Beetles are very well explored conversions, so it's about as ideal a place to start as any :) I've even seen one in the wild near me in the UK.

A mantra I've heard around here is that an EV conversion will cost twice as much and be half as good as a bought EV - BUT that the Beetle means more to you than just a car does a lot to counter that.

Welcome anyway! I'm pretty new & inexperienced too but if you want to share notes on your plans for the conversion I'm happy to. Would likely help me as well with my future conversion so any collaboration is good in my book...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts