DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Looking to convert my Lancia Montecarlo (after I've done all the bodywork) to electric.

I'm not an expert in this field and I'll be getting my brother to do most of it (he's a mechanic/risk taker etc). On the research I have done, which was mainly looking at electric classic cars, I plan to stick a HyPer 9 motor into it with Nissan LEAF batteries (Tesla batteries not surprisingly expensive).

The car will be used mainly in the summer for commuting. My commute is 60ish miles there and back. The car can be charged at work (I work at a sustainability consultant company), but ideally I want the range to be 80ish miles. Its pretty much a 50mph speed limit all the way, so top speed is not so important.

The car is mid-engined, RWD and pretty light, so I think its ideal for conversion (could be wrong though?)

Just wondered if anyone out there has done a similar conversion? The engine and gearbox are the same as a Fiat 124 - maybe someone out there has done an adaptor plate for the same type of gearbox? Or if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Cheers

Richard

·
Administrator
6,115 Posts
Hi
I went to buy a Montecarlo once - bought a Beta Spyder instead!
And I put a Lancia twin cam into my mini
So I'm familiar with the power unit - they are good!

IMHO you have three options

(1) (Best) - Drop a complete Leaf drive unit instead of the Lancia engine and box
That will give you good performance and a modern sophisticated power unit

(2) (next best) - Us a forklift motor bolted onto your gearbox
Cheap - lots of power capability - unsophisticated

(3) (worst) Something like the Hyper 9 - expensive and wimpy

Your biggest problem will be finding room for the batteries

If I was doing your conversion I would try and find a Leaf that was badly damaged but drivable and take as much as possible from that

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
The engine and gearbox are the same as a Fiat 124 - maybe someone out there has done an adaptor plate for the same type of gearbox?
The transverse transaxle of a Montecarlo is very different from the longitudinal transmission of a 124, but since it is the same engine family the same adapter plate might work.

It won't matter if you don't use the original transaxle, and I agree with Duncan that a complete EV drive unit (such as from a Leaf) would make a good conversion.

I also agree that fitting in battery is the big challenge... especially without ruining the mass distribution. With the motor occupying a large part of the original engine space, there is little room left there for battery modules, but that's where the majority of them should be for balance.

·
Administrator
6,115 Posts
Just remembered - there is a major problem to using the existing transmission

The Lancia engine block has the mountings for the auxiliary shaft bearing on the engine block - making up a mounting to go onto the DC motor to the required precision will not be easy

More weight on the side of using the Leaf power unit

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the info.
I had initially thought of tearing up a LEAF and then sticking all the gubbins in, but after I saw what they did at ecc with this Fiat 500 then that seemed a simpler solution, maybe I need to rethink that.
Will do some research into forklift motor, sounds like a good idea.
Re gearbox: Yes, my bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts