DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my point of discussion is pretty straightforward as you can tell from the title here. I've been combing through the forum and I can't seem to grasp what to do for the battery situation. I've seen so many different discussions about what people are running and I have a general idea on what to look for but I have no idea where people are buying from anymore (everything is either dead links or out of stock). I tried looking at the newbie space but that hasn't been updated in over a decade. And finally when I am able to find something, I go to price it out and it's nearing a $20k pack for 20kWhs at 144v.

So that leads me to the point of discussion, where are people getting their batteries and how much should we be paying?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Not exactly a mature market with good distribution channels, especially if you are in a budget. A good back costs a few grand if you mean new stuff.

Or do you mean junkyard packs ?

What sort of cells, chemistry, brands?

Many order direct, self import from China, takes months to arrive, shipping can be like a grand extra.

Are you willing to build packs from bare cells?

LFP prismatics are more readily available

but your location can make a difference, you don't even say what continent?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't mind spending in the 3-5 grand range if it means I'm getting good cells (5k being a pretty good ceiling that would take some budget away from the motor, but those seem to be easier to find used). Obviously it would be great if I was getting the latest and greatest chemistries but I know a lot of people are running LiFePo cells and that is where I was attempting to look. I was also looking at picking up a used leaf or volt battery pack and breaking it up to fit my need. I'm not scared of using bare cells as well, I have an EE buddy that I can call up to help.

I figured a lot of stuff was coming from over seas, I just have no idea how to get ahold of a manufacturer or what pricing I should be looking for. Like I said, budget is definitely a concern. I am trying to get everything said and done for less than $10k, preferably far less than.

Oh and I'm located in the US, Oregon in specific.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey Overclock, I am also in Oregon; about 20 miles outside of Portland. I found my battery pack on craigslist from a company that does hybrid battery replacements. They were called Bumblebee batteries, and i want to say they were out in Gresham somewhere. They might be worth getting in touch with to see if they have anything on hand at the moment. It seemed like they were scooping up EV and Hybrid packs from wrecked cars, but its been over a year since I bought from them.

Buying used car packs is hands down the cheapest option. I would figure on 130-150$/kwh is a fairly reasonable price. So 3 grand for 20kwh should be doable. You will have to do your due diligence about the voltages you want, and how the modules of a pack are laid out.

Unless you ask the seller to do a bunch of testing, you wont really know what you are getting. However, I have yet to hear of anyone who bought an OEM pack that was not still in perfect working order

Buying cells from China used to be the only way to get lithium batteries, but I have heard anecdotally that getting quality cells is not a given.

One other option to consider is to buy and gut a leaf. You can find one for sale in portland for 3500 bucks, and sometimes less. The batteries are probably pretty worn down, but the motor and other parts that you can scavenge would make it a good deal regardless. If I was going to do my project over again, I would likely go that route. It will add some work, but I hope you have budgeted hundreds of hours for this project, because you are going to need them :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Overclock, I am also in Oregon; about 20 miles outside of Portland. I found my battery pack on craigslist from a company that does hybrid battery replacements. They were called Bumblebee batteries, and i want to say they were out in Gresham somewhere. They might be worth getting in touch with to see if they have anything on hand at the moment. It seemed like they were scooping up EV and Hybrid packs from wrecked cars, but its been over a year since I bought from them.

Buying used car packs is hands down the cheapest option. I would figure on 130-150$/kwh is a fairly reasonable price. So 3 grand for 20kwh should be doable. You will have to do your due diligence about the voltages you want, and how the modules of a pack are laid out.

Unless you ask the seller to do a bunch of testing, you wont really know what you are getting. However, I have yet to hear of anyone who bought an OEM pack that was not still in perfect working order

Buying cells from China used to be the only way to get lithium batteries, but I have heard anecdotally that getting quality cells is not a given.

One other option to consider is to buy and gut a leaf. You can find one for sale in portland for 3500 bucks, and sometimes less. The batteries are probably pretty worn down, but the motor and other parts that you can scavenge would make it a good deal regardless. If I was going to do my project over again, I would likely go that route. It will add some work, but I hope you have budgeted hundreds of hours for this project, because you are going to need them :)
Oh I know this isn't going to be something quick. I was mentally planning at least a year to get it done. I will definitely check out bumblebee as that's not too far from me as well. I haven't been looking at craigslist, I guess it just didn't come to mind for a project like this but it totally makes sense.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not too sure I'll go with them, seems that they're only doing hybrid batteries at this point and their pricing is almost $1k/kwh (at least from what I see on the website.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts