DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to convert my Jeep TJ to electric. There is noting special about the Jeep. I thought I’d buy a Nissan Leaf from the scrape yard and use all the parts. I’m not sure it can be done. I didn’t see any project like that on the net. Maybe I don’t know where to look or it is not cost effective. The idea is to end up with a reliable Jeep that can run 60 miles. I like to build mechanical project at effective cost and this will be my first EV conversion. Thanks in advance for your technical support.

·
Registered
47 Posts
There are threads here on removing the Nissan leaf motor from it's transaxle and mounting it to a transmission. There are several generations of leaf, so do some research there too before you buy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No, I wouldn't use an automatic. Seems much easier to use a manual where you can learn the gear of choice for particular driving situations.

Thankfully I'm already manual, have no power brakes, heat or A/C. I really only need to worry about power steering and lights. Most of my lights are LED anyways which helps.

·
Registered
134 Posts
does a nissan leaf motor rev to 12000 rpm like the Tesla motor? I feel like you could just go straight to the transfer case and get by without a transmission with an ac system.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
does a nissan leaf motor rev to 12000 rpm like the Tesla motor?
The Leaf runs the motor in a bit lower speed range than Tesla... up to about 10,000 RPM.

I feel like you could just go straight to the transfer case and get by without a transmission with an ac system.
Without additional reduction gearing, going straight to the transfer case in high range would leave a Leaf motor in the bottom half of its speed range. The low range of the transfer case would not likely be usable on the street. A Chevrolet Spark EV motor would be a better speed match, but there is probably zero aftermarket or DIY experience with the Spark EV components.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts