DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today i purchased a EV Project Car.
It is a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse which had previously been converted to Electric by somebody else. I found it through a Craigslist AD and got it for what i think is pretty cheap. I was not buying it from the original builder so i cannot get questions answered there.

It looks like most of the electronics are missing. I was told that the controller and batteries were sold on ebay, however now that i have it and have looked around, it seems like its missing a bit more than just that. i am assuming a vehicle like this must also have a vacuum pump for the break booster to function, and another pump for the power steering to function. I am assuming that to make this vehicle road worthy certain electronics must also function such as ABS, and Airbags. I would prefer to start with a Pre-OBD vehicle so i don't have to worry about any electronics, but this will have to work for my first EV.

I have experience with electronics and basic mechanical skills. But i have never done a project quite like this before. I was told this was a 120V setup. using 9 batteries, I am assuming they were 12v batteries which makes sense, 13.5x9=121.5 volts.

The first thing i did before buying it is jack up one of the front tires and hook up a 48v battery pack that i made. I went through each of the gears and made sure that at least the tires are spinning and hopefully the transmission is alright. Then i tried and take a photo of the tag on the motor.
It is facing the firewall so the best i can do is get my phone in there and try and snap a photo. It is hard to make out all the information.

While the car is not legal, and the brakes barely work id like to get it moving a bit. at least that way i can make sure the transmission and clutch are working properly. but i need some kind of speed controller.
My budget for this car is not vast. id like to do it as cheaply as possible.
For the last 6 months i have been collecting and testing 18650 lithium battery cells. I have quite a collection building. i have over 800 cells. most of which i still need to test. I hope to use these to create my battery bank for this EV.
I did spot this on ebay, but have no experience with speed controllers. https://www.ebay.com/itm/300A-200V-72V-96V-144V-DC-motor-speed-controller-PWM-high-power-current-limit/172668870882?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well i called my local missouri DMV to find out what is nessisary to get this car legal and roadworthy. I also called a local inspection center to find out what the bare minimum i need to do to make it pass a inspection.

Because the title is out of state i had to complete a form 5062 and have local law enforcement inspect and verify the vin of the car.
I got that done today.

Tomorrow i will get the title put in my name.

To pass a Missouri safety inspection it does not require airbags, ABS, Traction control to operate, or even exist. i was surprised when he said the car did not need airbags even installed.
the only thing i need to work is a check engine light which functions, and the typical things like headlights, turn signals and such.

that should be easy enough.
I was told i will have to get a statement from the inspection center that the car operates on a alternative fuel so i can complete a form 2300 which applies for a windshield sticker indicating alternative fuel vehicle. which allows me to pay an additional $37 a year for the privilege of having a sticker. :confused: :confused:

i will still need a odometer, and display for speed, rpm, turn signal indicator, voltage, temperature, ect.
I suppose it would be easiest if i can still use the existing steering column and ignition. anybody know if it is possible to completely delete the existing ECM and wiring harness and still use the controls in the steering column? I have never torn one apart.

I know i will need a DC to DC converter for most of the existing 12Volt features of the car, such as electric windows, headlights, turn signals, and stuff. I have not yet looked into how much power i will require for the 12 volt accessories. But i suppose i can replace all the incandescent bulbs with LED lights to cut down some.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Duncan, I started reading your thread last night. I have not finished it yet. I am going to try and finish it up tonight.

I was looking at the prices of the many speed controllers mentioned here in different threads and most of them seem to be pretty expensive.

I also have a project on the sideburner, its a 48v gokart using a golf car rear end. I also need a speed controller for that.

With that 300A speed controller i found on ebay i am hoping i can use that temporarily just to get the car driving. And if i am not happy with it i could always use it for my gokart.
I am assuming that the limited current will limit my acceleration. I am hoping that with the correct voltage i will still be able to reach highway speeds. That is the goal anyways.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Congrats on project. Keep posting pics, everyone likes pics.

Where are you in St. Louis? I am in Affton.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I was reading about vacuum pumps for brake boosters. it it seems to be that you need at least one inch of vacuum per inch diameter of break booster.
But i found this one online https://www.ebay.com/itm/351908459631
price is reasonable. it claims to be 20HG. with google calculator it says that should provide 9.8 PSI.
I am wondering how quickly that pump can regenerate and if i will require a Reservoir tank.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was originally planning on using 18650 cells to make my batteries for this.
but i looked at the amp draw limits of the cells and i realized my math was way off. Most of the cells have a recommended limit of no more than 5 Amp load. so for a 600Amp load i would need atleast 120 cells in paralel. and then another 30 in series to get the voltage around 100volts. 3600cells i would need. i will have to go another route.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
The only practical options for conversions these days are cells or entire packs from a Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf etc.

You can build a kit controller for your motor like Duncan did, if you have the stomach for it. It's definitely the cheapest option unless you can find a used one someone is basically throwing away after losing interest.

You will have to decide about whether or not to use a BMS. To me, not using a BMS with high energy density Li ion cells is too risky to be worth considering, because it basically makes YOU the BMS.

You'll need some kind of amp-hour meter.

The rest is details which you'd have with any other modified car- licensing/registration, safety inspections, insurance etc.- all vary by location. In the US all are surmountable problems based on the numerous threads here of converted cars legally on the road.

Enjoy- have fun, but be safe about it! Read the Wiki and lots of build threads here- they'll teach you a lot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts