DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I found this board after a few hours of looking around for good info on conversions. I am looking at using the new LiFePO4 batteries and solar cells as well, my tercel is dear to me but the lower end of the motor went bad this last year. Info....

1. Would like to spend less than $10,000.00 over two years.

2. I have basic knowledge of mechanics, elementary regarding electrical.

3. I would like a min range of 50-60 miles

4. I like the idea of DIY, however I would use a kit if it seems to be the best choice.

5. What is the expected lifespan of an EV? Is conversion a labor of love or does it ever pay off?

6. Curb weight 2200 lbs., six speed manual (e-lo gear), no power steering, no A/C, hyd brakes, 13 gal gas tank under wagon floor, HP
62 @ 5,200, torque 76 @ 2,800.

·
Administrator
6,157 Posts
Hi Stick

Welcome to the forum
project sounds doable
- have a look at the Forklift motor sticky at the top of the electric motors forum

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DC Motor
HP: 50
RPM: 1750 / 2100
Type: CD 365AT
This motor was completely rebuilt by a qualified company and was stored as a standby. It has not been installed since rebuild.
Shaft dimensions : 4 7/8" long x 2 3/8" wide
Center of shaft to base of motor : 9"
@font-face { font-family: "Cambria Math"; }@font-face { font-family: "Calibri"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 10pt; line-height: 115%; font-size: 11pt; font-family: "Calibri","sans-serif"; }.MsoChpDefault { }.MsoPapDefault { margin-bottom: 10pt; line-height: 115%; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }​
@font-face { font-family: "Cambria Math"; }@font-face { font-family: "Calibri"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 10pt; line-height: 115%; font-size: 11pt; font-family: "Calibri","sans-serif"; }.MsoChpDefault { }.MsoPapDefault { margin-bottom: 10pt; line-height: 115%; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }​
@font-face { font-family: "Cambria Math"; }@font-face { font-family: "Calibri"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 10pt; line-height: 115%; font-size: 11pt; font-family: "Calibri","sans-serif"; }.MsoChpDefault { }.MsoPapDefault { margin-bottom: 10pt; line-height: 115%; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }
General Electric Manufactured for Burton Industries

Direct Current Motor
Hp: 50
Rpm: 1750 / 2100
Volts: 240
Arm Amps: 175
Wound: Stab Shunt
Fld Amps: 4.45 / 3.5
Fld Ohms 25 C: 24
Insul Class: F
Duty: Cont
Max Ambient: 40 C
Pwr Sup Code: D
Fld V: 150
Type: CD365AT
Encl: DPFG
Instr: GEH3967
Mod: 5CD192SA003A021
Ser: FP-1-356 FP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this what I should be looking for? I am now realizing I have VERY limited knowledge on the whole subject of Electric motors. I will learn for a few weeks, any help with where to start would be appreciated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
First welcome to the forum. I like you have been planning a conversion. I have been doing a lot or research, and learning about what I am wanting to do. There are several things that I have learned so far. If you have connections you can find a lot of the stuff you need; motor, controller, other electrical items, as salvage or used for a good price. If you want new it will cost you more obviously. For a car your size, the Impulse 9 motor or a similar, Kostov 9, etc should have more power than you currently have. If your car is manual even better. A lot of conversions go without a clutch, and work quite well, do some looking. As far a range that is all determined by your final weight, type of batteries you use, the hilliness where you live, how fast you want to drive, etc. The voltage of your system will have a lot to do with your top speed, and to some extent your range. It seems like the higher voltage you use, the fewer Amps you will pull to go the same distance. It is all about how many watts it takes you to go a mile! Lastly, a conversion within your budget is doable, but I'm not sure that LiFePO4 cells will fall into it at the current price. I am ready to start buying my components and hope that by the time I'm ready for batteries, the price will come down some more. It seems that every year it comes down some. I hope that I haven't babbled to much here or made a total idiot out of my self, but I wanted to share what I have learned so far. Hopefully some of the experts here will chime in and share some real information with you. Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts