DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 Chevy Silverado standard cab short bed that I would like to convert to all electric. I want AC and all power accessories to be functional. Am I asking for too much with this vehicle? It is heavier than the small trucks but much lighter than the ext cab models. Can anybody please point me in the right direction to at least look at what is involved? I would like a 200 mi range but I don’t know if that’s possible. Thank you in advance.

Mark

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
995 Posts
I am converting a 1971 GMC and using a 2007-11 Lexus GS450H transmission (which has two electric motors in it yielding 105 kW (141 hp; 143 PS) what this does is eliminates the extra weight of your old transmission as well as the headache of mating some motor to your transmission using a $1,200 adapter plate and frees up the engine bay for electric components and in your case extra bateries

here's a picture of this Unicorn, notice the two orange high voltage wires, each one goes to one of the two secret motors inside MG1 and MG2 (aka Motor Generator 1 and Motor Generator 2)

maybe that tickles your funny bone, I will be posting my build thread soon, good luck to you

I will allow the EV Godfather tell you all about it here Lexus Toyota Hybrid Transmission Project 01 : Introduction

Electrical wiring Gas Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Machine

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
491 Posts
Everything on your list is "easily" accomplished except the range. I might sound like a broken record but I say "Buy a salvaged Nissan LEAF '13-'17 and a Resolve-EV controller and build your EV." But I'll say it again. Buy a salvaged LEAF and a Resolve-EV controller.

Everyone wants hundreds of miles range. Not me. I just want one mile, that first DIY EV mile! That's the hardest mile. If you can do that then spending more $$$ on more battery cells is a piece of cake.

AC = LEAF electric AC/heat pump

Power steering = 12v power steering pump from any number of modern vehicles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am converting a 1971 GMC and using a 2007-11 Lexus GS450H transmission (which has two electric motors in it yielding 105 kW (141 hp; 143 PS) what this does is eliminates the extra weight of your old transmission as well as the headache of mating some motor to your transmission using a $1,200 adapter plate and frees up the engine bay for electric components and in your case extra bateries

here's a picture of this Unicorn, notice the two orange high voltage wires, each one goes to one of the two secret motors inside MG1 and MG2 (aka Motor Generator 1 and Motor Generator 2)

maybe that tickles your funny bone, I will be posting my build thread soon, good luck to you

I will allow the EV Godfather tell you all about it here Lexus Toyota Hybrid Transmission Project 01 : Introduction

View attachment 123672
That is fascinating! I’m very interested in keeping up with your project. It does seem to leave a bunch of room for batteries.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everything on your list is "easily" accomplished except the range. I might sound like a broken record but I say "Buy a salvaged Nissan LEAF '13-'17 and a Resolve-EV controller and build your EV." But I'll say it again. Buy a salvaged LEAF and a Resolve-EV controller.

Everyone wants hundreds of miles range. Not me. I just want one mile, that first DIY EV mile! That's the hardest mile. If you can do that then spending more $$$ on more battery cells is a piece of cake.

AC = LEAF electric AC/heat pump

Power steering = 12v power steering pump from any number of modern vehicles.
Does the leaf setup have good power? I don’t need a race motor but something comparable to my 5.7.

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
491 Posts
Does the leaf setup have good power? I don’t need a race motor but something comparable to my 5.7.
No not really. They make 100hp in the early cars and 150hp in the 2018+ model. The newer ones make 200hp but are not compatible with the Resolve-EV controller at the moment.

There is a guy out of Nanaimo, BC called Underground Electrics making custom inverters that will run the LEAF motor at 400hp. So it's not the motor that is the bottleneck, but the inverter. I was interested in his inverter but it was about $6000+ in a DIY kit version so it's on my wishlist. That is still more affordable than Tesla stuff though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No not really. They make 100hp in the early cars and 150hp in the 2018+ model. The newer ones make 200hp but are not compatible with the Resolve-EV controller at the moment.

There is a guy out of Nanaimo, BC called Underground Electrics making custom inverters that will run the LEAF motor at 400hp. So it's not the motor that is the bottleneck, but the inverter. I was interested in his inverter but it was about $6000+ in a DIY kit version so it's on my wishlist. That is still more affordable than Tesla stuff though.

Do you have contact information for this guy?

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
491 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have a 1998 Chevy Silverado standard cab short bed that I would like to convert to all electric. I want AC and all power accessories to be functional. Am I asking for too much with this vehicle? It is heavier than the small trucks but much lighter than the ext cab models. Can anybody please point me in the right direction to at least look at what is involved? I would like a 200 mi range but I don’t know if that’s possible. Thank you in advance.

Mark
I went for a ride in this truck, jumped on the freeway doing 70 mph, Kevin did this truck right...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.