DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Newbie with a 2015 Fiat 500e - blown PIM

1630 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  ninjabug500e
Hi folks: I love my 500e (with only 31K miles!) but I am getting a PIM error I can't delete. The dealer tells me the PIM needs to be replaced but they don't make new PIMs any longer. I can buy a used PIM for $900 and can get it installed for 1400, but am unsure if its worth the gamble in the PIM VIN doesn't match the car VIN. I'm in NorCal. Any inspirational stories on how to rest the PIM error POA8D?

thank you!

-Jeff
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
I've seen notes about problems with the PIM before. :( I don't know if it was easily resolved, but the FIAT dealer seems to want an arm and a leg to fix it.

Apparently that POA8D is also a Mazda code for their 12/14V battery system. It wouldn't hurt to go through and make sure everything connected to your 12V battery and DC/DC converter is working. What is the battery voltage when your charger cable is plugged in?

There is a PIM software update flash. See recall:

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen notes about problems with the PIM before. :( I don't know if it was easily resolved, but the FIAT dealer seems to want an arm and a leg to fix it.

Apparently that POA8D is also a Mazda code for their 12/14V battery system. It wouldn't hurt to go through and make sure everything connected to your 12V battery and DC/DC converter is working. What is the battery voltage when your charger cable is plugged in?

There is a PIM software update flash. See recall:
Thanks, Clifford.

Agreed - the initial quote was $9000 to install a new PIM. But I don't believe it's even possible buy a new PIM, so I found used ones on LKQ Auto Salvage. The Fiat dealer service center is warning me that a used one may not work as the VINs will not match.

On your question of battery voltage, do you mean the HV battery? I have that data in my AlphaOBD log and can find it. The car is currently at the dealer so I don't know what the voltage is (for either battery) when it is plugged into a Charger, but it was not accepting a charge (goalposts) before I had it towed to the dealer.

Fiat Recall 16V303000 is also called S26 - My car had the S26 recall completed in before I bought it from a local reseller in 2018.

Thanks for your suggestions, Clifford!

-Jeff

· Registered
170 Posts
It would seem like the PIM would be a good place to hide security info about a vehicle. I'm surprised the dealership doesn't seem to know what parts work and don't work.

I realize my RAM is a little different from FIAT, but they have an "RF Hub" hidden behind the seat that is critical for the security, but perhaps there is more than one security device. ECU?

Many salvage auction cars come with a set of keys. It is possible the junk yards keep them.

I decided to order a PIM that is supposed to be "throwing a code" off of E-Bay (didn't list the actual fault). It should arrive sometime next week. I thought it would be interesting to at least do a visual inspection.

· Registered
1 Posts
It would seem like the PIM would be a good place to hide security info about a vehicle. I'm surprised the dealership doesn't seem to know what parts work and don't work.

I realize my RAM is a little different from FIAT, but they have an "RF Hub" hidden behind the seat that is critical for the security, but perhaps there is more than one security device. ECU?

Many salvage auction cars come with a set of keys. It is possible the junk yards keep them.

I decided to order a PIM that is supposed to be "throwing a code" off of E-Bay (didn't list the actual fault). It should arrive sometime next week. I thought it would be interesting to at least do a visual inspection.
Any updates on this? Did the used PIM work?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any updates on this? Did the used PIM work?
No news...still sitting at the Fiat Service center, but I opened a new ticket with Fiat USA/Stellantis and they have been discussing with the Fiat Service Center. I have been been told by both parties that a used PIM will not work as it has a VIN hardcoded into it and the Service center does not have the ability to reset that VIN to my car's VIN.

· Registered
1 Posts
No news...still sitting at the Fiat Service center, but I opened a new ticket with Fiat USA/Stellantis and they have been discussing with the Fiat Service Center. I have been been told by both parties that a used PIM will not work as it has a VIN hardcoded into it and the Service center does not have the ability to reset that VIN to my car's VIN.
I am on Fiat 500 owners.com someone posted that they do have the ability to reset the PIM
Electric Tire Shredder wrote:
" I just came across this again by accident. In the service training manual (click here) pg 141 (pdf pg 149) says:
"Performing a resolver offset angle relearn procedure is necessary when performing a major repair such as replacing the PIM, eMotor, or EVCU. If the PIM is reprogrammed, relearn is not necessary. Refer to service information for the proper procedure."
So apparently Fiat DOES have a reprogramming procedure!
There is lots of good info on the Fiat500owners.com. I am researching this to solve my own issue with my Fiat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts