DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I have been waiting for some one to to produce a cheaper small cabrio but it’s not happening so may be its time to look at making my own.
I’ve had a few ev and hybrids on long term test drive, Smart , golf gte and bmw i3 of which the best was the bmw the problem is I know if I buy one I will soon get board because I only ever drive 2 seater soft top cars the current car being a Lotus Elise which I love.
In the past I had a Smart Brabus coupe which was a fantastic car so this has got me thinking get hold of another Smart roadster probably a brabus an convert it. I would need 100 mile range may be a bit more so I could push it hard 0 to 60 around 5 seconds but would be willing to increase slightly and a top end of around 120.

I have no idea of what I need to do this, if it possible and what sort of cost is involved any info or figures would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
522 Posts
For 0-60 in 5s, 100 mile range, and 120mph top speed, you're looking at a parts cost of about $5-10k. Cheapest option is often to buy a used Nissan Leaf (wrecked-but-driving is the bang for buck king) and use all the bits, pretending the car is still a Leaf. It can be involved to get the motor spinning once it's outside the car. Ask me how I know:

https://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199847

In terms of motor/battery cost, it's still probably cheapest to buy Leaf stuff and then source aftermarket bits to control the motor and charge the batteries. I'm at that crossroad myself. It will likely mean another $3k in parts.

In terms of labor/fabrication, the car that you intend to convert could matter a lot. If you keep a manual transmission, the hard bit is mating the electric motor and output shaft to it. If you do not, the hard part is mounting the motor and getting the axles adapted.

I hope you decide to convert an MGB, because they're fantastic drivers, and I've been thinking about doing one myself...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts