DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq EV + ???
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've just joined after a fair bit of lurking.

Today I have taken delivery of an Ioniq EV as a daily driver. That replaces a Lexus hybrid (worse of both worlds, IMHO). My plan is to drive the Ioniq for 2 years while putting together a project EV, DIYed as much as possible. I work with HV electronics (albeit rather lower currents!), but my hammering skills are limited. :)

I've got a couple of 'weekend' cars, one of which might suit EV conversion - it has a space frame chassis with removable bodywork. (It's sort of iconic, though and might be seen as sacrilege by the car's fans, but hey ho...) I'd only want about 150-200kW in this one and perhaps 100 mile range.

Or do I do a proper daily driver? Not sure. I hope to see how projects here have faired or floundered and steal all of the good ideas.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I hope to see how projects here have faired or floundered and steal all of the good ideas.
The main failure mode seems to be budget-related :). This can sometimes lead to a deteriorating WAF (wife approval factor). It will also take a lot longer than you realize at the outset, especially if you have to learn a bunch of new skills. I think I am hundreds of hours into my build, but I started out with very little knowledge.

Anyway, good luck, and start a build thread when you get the project going!

·
Registered
Ioniq EV + ???
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome, Carl. I hear you on WAF! :) My day job involves selling impulse-buy stuff to guys who then have to hope for that elusive WAF.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts