DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all, I am new here, and do have zero EV knowledge. So please if some is willing to help, please take some time and help me to decide what to do.

So what is the idea?

I have great chance to buy flooded Nissan 370Z made in 2010, with manual gear box. Car will have around 1000KG after all is strip-out. So idea is to pick up right components and start with build with help of some local people who made couple "light" EV conversions.

What I want from the car?
Car will be use for drag and track days. For 402m drag race I wish to have some 3.0 to 3.5 sec time (from 0 to 100 meters ). Car will be use also for some fun track day actions (3.5 km long track).

What about range?
150 to 200km is just fine.

After some research I find this unit package interesting - http://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=8&products_id=476&osCsid=q0iqddjj08u0bfrtc336rebrb3

So, if some1 is thinking this is not right choice, please let me know what is, anyway please, I will so thankful if some1 can make me the list of all needed parts if it is possible.

Thank you so much.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I wish to have some 3.0 to 3.5 sec time (from 0 to 100 km)
That's Tesla performance territory and I don't think anyone has hit those numbers in a DIY conversion. Have a look at these threads;

Tesla Powered Nissan r32 skyline

911 RSR with Tesla Motor...

Tesla Powered BMW E31 8 Series

Tesla Powered Cobra Race Car

2014 Lotus Evora - Tesla DU, Time Attack Road Car

150 to 200km is just fine.
What average speed do you expect to drive? Is this 200 spirited or sedate kms?

What's your budget for parts?

Where are you based?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please check red color.

That's Tesla performance territory and I don't think anyone has hit those numbers in a DIY conversion. Have a look at these threads;

911 RSR with Tesla Motor...

Tesla Powered Cobra Race Car

2014 Lotus Evora - Tesla DU, Time Attack Road Car

Only Lotus is finished car, so based on information owner provide, this project car can do less then 3.5sec from zero to 100 meters.

What average speed do you expect to drive? Is this 200 spirited or sedate kms?

As explain car should be used for drag and track race, so no average speed, no every day usage, just fun. From the range point of view it can be 100-150km spirited.

What's your budget for parts? 25000 usd

Where are you based? - Croatia-Serbia

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Please check red color.
I know Sasha's Evora has recorded 11.4s @ 124mph (see here) but that's a second slower than the 10.5s @ 125mph that Motor Trend recorded with a P100D recently (see here)... do you have a link to the times that you are reporting for the Evora?

I would suggest that you review the comments posted after a seasons Tesla track racing (see here) and watch the r32 skyline project because Chris has some plans for innovative cooling solutions :cool:

With regards to range my Tesla Roadster has a 53kWh battery and that delivers a range of ~160km when driven 'spiritedly'. Your biggest challenge will be finding a battery that delivers the performance and range that you require.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
For 402m drag race I wish to have some 3.0 to 3.5 sec time (from 0 to 100 meters ).
420 metres is a quarter mile... but what is the "0 to 100 meters" reference? It was "(from 0 to 100 km)" before editing, when Kevin responded, and of course that would only make sense if it meant 3.0 to 3.5 seconds to accelerate from zero to 100 km per hour, which is extreme street performance and unrelated to a quarter-mile time.

Can I assume that this was intended to be the time to the 100 metre (or 330 foot) point along the track (which is apparently a common timing trap, at the 1/4 track point), not the time for 0-100 km/h?

3.0 to 3.5 seconds to cover 100 metres at constant acceleration would be about two g's... real drag racing territory.
According to a randomly chosen online calculator:
  • a 3.0 s 330-foot time typically corresponds to 7.47 s @ 177 mph
  • a 3.5 s 330-foot time typically corresponds to 8.72 s @ 152 mph

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
As explain car should be used for drag and track race, so no average speed, no every day usage, just fun. From the range point of view it can be 100-150km spirited.
I think if your idea of "spirited" driving is drag racing at that acceleration level, you should be expecting a range best measured in kilometres, not hundreds of kilometres.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So sorry to all, I didn't sleep two days, two small kids was at my top of the head :), so I put some strange figures. :) I will simplified this time :) and please help me to understand what I can to do.

1. I need a car that can make from zero to 100 km/h in 3.5 sec.:)
2. From range point of view I need as much I can get for the track day action. So please let me know how much I can expect.

This is it. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
So sorry to all, I didn't sleep two days, two small kids was at my top of the head :), so I put some strange figures. I will simplified this time and please help me to understand what I can to do.

1. I need a car that can make from zero to 100 km/h in 3.5 sec.:)
2. From range point of view I need as much I can get for the track day action. So please let me know how much I can expect.

This is it. Thank you in advance.

Hi,

I would run a complete tesla rear clip/ subframe with a large drive unit and two Chevy volt gen 2 batteries with two tesla 10kw charger so you get 20kw of charging per hour from a 32amp 3 phase supply.

That is my plan to do my r32 skyline drift car.

I have just developed a way of splitting the motor and inverter coolant loop on the large drive unit so with the open source control board I am using will let me push the drive unit beyond the tesla software restricted limits. If you want more info or to follow my build follow me on facebook @zeroevuk I can probably even sell you a complete kit in a few months. (After testing)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
So this unit is fine
That's a very expensive solution... a colleague has just purchased a number of Tesla drive units for 2500 Euros (3000 USD) each. We have a thread that lists vendors (here). A Tesla drive unit will require a controller, you can build one for a couple of hundred euros or buy a fully assembled, tested, and supported version from Damien for 1500 Euros (1800 USD) (here).

Here are a few of the projects using Damien's controller;

1967 VW Split Screen Van - "ICE Breaker"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Kevin so much. Can you please list other parts I need to purchase. What about battery, battery cooling and other parts?

Idea is to make bench table in our garage, and test all before we start with car assemble.

P.S

If it is difficult to make a list, I can pay for this info, if some1 is willing to spent more time.

Thank you again.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Thank you Kevin so much. Can you please list other parts I need to purchase. What about battery, battery cooling and other parts?
I'll make a list of parts and prices for my build (here) :)

Idea is to make bench table in our garage, and test all before we start with car assemble.
That's very sensible... I've done the same thing with my Siemens and Leaf based solutions and it helps a lot with debugging and visualising the challenges.

If it is difficult to make a list, I can pay for this info, if some1 is willing to spent more time.
I don't do this commercially but their are some great people that can help. Can you add your location to your profile so that we can provide suitable advice?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Kevin, noted and Thank you. If you have some to recommend to make a list of the parts that will work, please send me a contact. Thank you again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts