DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two questions:

1) How do I get the axle out of the inner tripod CV joints?

2) How do I take measurements to have custom axle shafts made up?

I've got the boot off and pulled back, but the bearings just...won't pull out of the housing. There's no retaining ring that I can see, or really anything else blocking it...

I was hoping I could just tap the bearings off, but there's a retaining clip on the axle behind the bearings (according to Nissan's diagram). I can't figure out how to disassemble this thing.

This is what I'm seeing:

·
Registered
238 Posts
My guess is that those two dimples on the end of the grooves are where they compressed the metal to hold the rollers in. You could probably take a Dremel to the grooves and open them back up and the rollers would roll out.

Bill

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you're right. I'm afraid to get metal shavings everywhere, but I guess I'll stuff it with rags and clean the hell out of it when it's apart...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The Leaf CV housing is a weird one, I think. Those dimples do indeed seem to be there to keep the joints in. Once I ground them away, the joints rolled right out. After that, I got the joint off the axle by removing the circlip and hitting it with a drift and hammer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts