DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on converting a ford ranger (2005 ish) into an EV, in my area it is quite easy and affordable to find used nissan leaf motor stack for quite cheap. To controll these components i planned on using a resolve controller to make all the components work together. My problem is that I have to use a "stock" nissan leaf battery, which would be really small (24kwh for a pickup) or really expensive (62kwh unobtanium). I have conducted some research if I could combine multiple 24kwh packs into some larger pack.

The options I have found are: use software and modify the BMS to be happy with 3x the amount of batteries(my ability with electronics and software would prohibit this), connect a whole pack straight to the HV line and use a seperate bms for that additional pack or take every single module and wire them in parallel with 2 extra modules.

I know that neither of these solutions are "optimal" but my question is what would be the least bad option? I have seen people go with all three of these solutions giving them all kinds of problems, such as someone bricking their leaf by having an extender pack coupled into the main HV BMS when the regular battery was turned off. Or how when someone tried wiring an extender into their main BMS there was a 22kwh (24) limiter of how much energy could flow out of the main pack.
Im quite new to HV electronics so if there is another solution I have overlooked I would be very thankful if you could help me.

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
My problem is that I have to use a "stock" nissan leaf battery, which would be really small (24kwh for a pickup) or really expensive (62kwh unobtanium).
In between those extremes is the 40 kWh pack, using modules of the same format as the original (24 kWh), but with more capacity. Even those are relatively new, and so presumably not in plentiful supply, but they should be easier to find than the 62 kWh pack.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts