DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I can't find in the forum or in the web any info on using component from a Nissan leaf outside a Nissan leaf.

As far as the motor and inverter there are plant of options.. But the leaf comes with an handy setup all built in with regular charger, chademo controller dc to dc converter.. Already on top of the motor and inverter.

My question is.. Where I could find some control board or a way to use those parte on a diy application? In case why I can't find any info on that?
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
598 Posts
People have done it. I never quite did:

https://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199847

It's all or nothing with this approach. If one thing is missing—even if you don't intend to use it—the computers freak out in various ways, usually resulting in a car that won't drive or charge. You buy the Leaf, label everything, take a zillion photos of connectors, then transplant everything onto a bench and put it back together.

If you have the space to store the Leaf for a while, I would leave everything in the car, and disconnect everything but the components that you think you need and make sure the car still drives until you've removed everything.

This is probably the cheapest way to convert a highway-capable car that will go 50-100mi, but nobody has yet documented it in a way that has been vetted or consistently reproduced.

If you want to use the components individually, you're looking at a great deal of CAN bus programming and hacking, which, if you've never heard of it, will involve a great deal of learning. People have decoded some of the CAN messages on a some of the components, but there is as-of-yet no purchaseable product or software available that is particularly easy or general enough to work well for most.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts