DIY Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
Therefore I believe that the Leaf motor in standard wiring configuration is capable of running full speed in "reverse", and that the 50kph limit is a setting in the vehicle management system that can be bypassed if you know how.
Since the direction of rotation doesn't matter to the motor electrically, magnetically, or mechanically, and doesn't matter to the inverter's power stage (just to the controller and drivers) this isn't a surprise.

The speed in reverse is limited to prevent the car from being driven in reverse at excessive speed, and probably to keep the rest of the drive unit (transaxle and cooling system) from being rotated in reverse for too long. My understanding is that dadazan isn't using any of those other components - just the motor. I don't know how the motor is lubricated.

I have no personal experience, this is just from seeing the videos, but I would be researching that possibility before tackling the reversal of wiring etc.
See post #5.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So .... to reverse the typical Leaf Motor/Reducer installation, ie Motor is now AFT of the Drive Shafts, one needs only to resolve the Reducer gear lubrication splash? ... perhaps a custom Reducer Housing with appropriate galleys? All else is doable?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.