DIY Electric Car Forums banner

161 - 167 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
The cooling system is flowin'! The Prius pump is strong, nearly silent, and only has one moving part. The system purged itself of air bubbles rather swiftly.

I ditched the 3/4" ID tubing, as it was kinking too much in front of the motor, and in the end was unecessarily large—I managed to get 5/8" ID tubing over the Leaf ports with a heat gun and some soapy water as lubricant.

I used PEX elbows to avoid any tight bends (3/4", but PEX uses a different sizing system), but they may not have been necessary after downsizing the tubes. They seem to be as good as steel and as cheap as plastic. The tubing might be too loose on them without clamps, but I'm gonna give it a whirl.

There was very little room on the left, so I wound up just stuffing the two tubes from the motor through an opening and wrapping them with more tubing as protection. My plan is to just keep an eye on things to see if the protection falls out, or gets damaged too quickly, or what. Getting tubes to the motor was very annoying, and it seemed like any useful cutting of the body would be visible.

I didn't have the Prius water pump connector, so I just filled the sucker with Fluid Film to prevent moisture from shorting anything out...I don't love it, but I'll wait and see before trying to find a connector.

At this point, I'm kinda just waiting on the axles before doing much more. Road tests will surely adjust my priorities and unearth some design failures.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
I used PEX elbows to avoid any tight bends (3/4", but PEX uses a different sizing system), but they may not have been necessary after downsizing the tubes. They seem to be as good as steel and as cheap as plastic. The tubing might be too loose on them without clamps, but I'm gonna give it a whirl.
I definitely wouldn't trust PEX barbs with soft hose of any size without clamps. Even with PEX clamp rings are needed. With clamps, they should be fine, as long as the tubing inside diameter (before stretching) is smaller than the barb outer diameter.

·
Registered
55 Posts
No, but it's 26 minutes long and starts with a guy drinking coffee... so I'm going to take a wild guess that it's not worth watching. If there's something in it of value, why not tell us what that is?
hes using a leaf motor and batteries, its worth letting tremulene know as they are asking for feedback on the conversion, it seems strange he doenst seem to know of the great work that ESDI has done on already converting a mini with a leaf drivetrain.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
hes using a leaf motor and batteries, its worth letting tremulene know as they are asking for feedback on the conversion, it seems strange he doenst seem to know of the great work that ESDI has done on already converting a mini with a leaf drivetrain.
:) Thanks.

If there is anything specific from this build which is interesting or useful, I assume that someone will add it to the discussion.

161 - 167 of 167 Posts