DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
looking for some insight and assistance with a project I'm putting together.
This project is me putting my toe in the pool of EV to learn and use in larger projects.

I would like to use a Leaf motor, inverter, charger assembly for my little project.. They are reasonably priced and more easily had than the Tesla units. Anything Tesla automatically makes the $$$ rise. If it was a Tesla Leaf it would be more $$$.. And my little project could probably use less power than the Leaf puts out.. But who doesn't like More Power!!

So.. to my quest for Leaf Info..
I plan to use Tesla Smart Lithium Ion 18650 modules (Yes very hard to get ahold of) but my project is space limited. I actually have to build the chassis around the modules I plan to use. The Smart Tesla Packs house 6 modules that puts out around 57 volts at 18 kWh. I am using 12 modules for a total of 684 volts and 36 kWh.. Not that I plan to dump all 684 volts into the assembly. o_O
I also saw this configuration used on a UK EV Youtube Video. But I doubt they used a Leaf assembly.

So the Leaf has 30kWh, 40kWh and I think 60/80kWh abilities. Can I use the 36kWh set up I mentioned to power a 40kWh assembly or do I have to find a 30kWh assembly?

I am thinking if I can lay hands on an assembly rated at 40kWh. and I won't be exceeding that with my 36kWh set up. I will be fine.

The two limiting factors to my project are the batteries (which I have squared away) and the motor assembly (which I'm still trying to figure out) the rest (for me) is connecting the dots.

Any assistance would be a great help..

Thx,
Kev

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
The DC link capacitors in the inverter, fuses, and other components in the Leaf will not survive much more than 400V....

There's a brick wall at around 430V when using EV components, apart from a couple of exceptions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The DC link capacitors in the inverter, fuses, and other components in the Leaf will not survive much more than 400V....

There's a brick wall at around 430V when using EV components, apart from a couple of exceptions.
I'm totally new and trying to apply what little I do know..
Is there a circuit or component I can use to limit the voltage?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe I found the answer to what I was looking for, but my question was asked wrong.

If one pack of 6 modules is 342V and I want to use two packs for a total of 12 modules. I need to connect the two packs in parallel not series. Parallel should/will give me a total of 342V even though both packs are used, and also increase my Amp Hours and give me a longer use before needing a recharge.

I'm still digging around for detailed info.. But I think I'm on the right track.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts