DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what size the bolts are that hold the mounting brackets to the motor in a Leaf? This would be for the EM57 from the 2013 leaf. I'm getting ready to make my mounts, and I need to get some bolts. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
I don't know offhand, but if you can get it to show an enlarged diagram so you can tell which bolt is which, the bolts are listed in Nissan's online parts listing. Unfortunately they don't show the size, but you could buy the actual bolts from a Nissan dealer for a couple of bucks each.

There are other online parts listings. I guess my point is that you can get exactly the right bolt, at a moderate cost, from Nissan itself.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know offhand, but if you can get it to show an enlarged diagram so you can tell which bolt is which, the bolts are listed in Nissan's online parts listing. Unfortunately they don't show the size, but you could buy the actual bolts from a Nissan dealer for a couple of bucks each.

There are other online parts listings. I guess my point is that you can get exactly the right bolt, at a moderate cost, from Nissan itself.
That might work, thanks!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Does anyone know what size the bolts are that hold the mounting brackets to the motor in a Leaf? This would be for the EM57 from the 2013 leaf. I'm getting ready to make my mounts, and I need to get some bolts. Thanks!

I just bought some grade 10 14mm x1.5 for some of the bolts and some other ones were 12mm by 1.25 (I will confirm that when I go to the shop). I bought long ones and just cut them down for different lengths

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just bought some grade 10 14mm x1.5 for some of the bolts and some other ones were 12mm by 1.25 (I will confirm that when I go to the shop). I bought long ones and just cut them down for different lengths
Cool, thanks. I'm looking to use the holes on the back of the motor, I believe there are 3 or 4. The thread info would be sufficient, since I'll measure the rest for my mounts. I just don't have anything remotely close to get an idea of what the threads are.

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
As long as you get the right thread and length (which is the original question) that works, of course. :)

Bolts are not as simple as they may seem at first... are these for shear or tension, do they have a flanged or plain head, etc.

Threaded fasteners are specified by the thread size, not the hex size; in metric, the thread size in millimetres is prefixed by "M". Do you mean an actual M14 (14 mm thread), or just a 14 mm head hex? M14 is a huge bolt, probably the largest in the vehicle; it would have a shear strength of at least 40,000 N (four tons). For example, the wheel studs and nuts for a car (such as the Leaf) are M12 (and commonly M14 for pickup trucks).
  • a bolt with an M14 thread would typically have a 19 mm head hex in a car, even larger for non-automotive applications
  • a bolt with an M12 thread would typically have a 17 mm head hex in a car, a 19 mm for wheel nuts, and a 21 mm hex for Toyota shank-style wheel nuts (bolts for brake calipers and major suspension components)
  • a bolt with an M10 thread would typically have a 14 mm head hex (all but the largest mechanical connections)
  • a bolt with an M8 thread would typically have a 12 mm head hex (substantial housing bolts, large electrical connections)
  • a bolt with an M6 thread would typically have a 10 mm head hex (common small housing and bracket bolts, and electrical connections)
I'm guessing that these are M10 (with 14 mm hex) and M8 (with 12 mm hex) bolts.

A small note: the grade would presumably be "10.9", not just "10". Metric bolts follow ISO grades which have two values separated by a dot, not just one number like SAE bolt grades (in which Grade 8 is the usual "high grade" choice). OEM bolts may not show a grade on the head at all, because they are a specific part to meet a specific spec, rather than being marked for general-purpose use.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As long as you get the right thread and length (which is the original question) that works, of course. :)

Bolts are not as simple as they may seem at first... are these for shear or tension, do they have a flanged or plain head, etc.

M14 is a huge bolt, probably the largest in the vehicle; it would have a shear strength of at least 40,000 N (four tons). Do you mean an actual 14 mm thread, or just a 14 mm head hex? Threaded fasteners are specified by the thread size, not the hex size; in metric, the thread size in millimetres is prefixed by "M". For example, the wheel studs and nuts for a car (such as the Leaf) are M12 (and commonly M14 for pickup trucks).

• a bolt with an M14 thread would typically have a 19 mm head hex in a car, even larger for non-automotive applications
  • a bolt with an M12 thread would typically have a 17 mm head hex in a car, a 19 mm for wheel nuts, and a 21 mm hex for Toyota shank-style wheel nuts (bolts for brake calipers and major suspension components)
  • a bolt with an M10 thread would typically have a 14 mm head hex (all but the largest mechanical connections)
  • a bolt with an M8 thread would typically have a 12 mm head hex (substantial housing bolts, large electrical connections)
  • a bolt with an M6 thread would typically have a 10 mm head hex (common small housing and bracket bolts, and electrical connections)

A small note: the grade would presumably be "10.9", not just "10". Metric bolts follow ISO grades which have two values separated by a dot, not just one number like SAE bolt grades (in which Grade 8 is the usual "high grade" choice). OEM bolts may not show a grade on the head at all, because they are a specific part to meet a specific spec, rather than being marked for general-purpose use.
The holes are bigger than m10 - this much I know. I used some m10 bolts for my adapter plate, and there wasn't even any thread engagement with those, and there was plenty if room. I suspect he meant 12 or 14 :) I'm only concerned with the threads, I'll figure the rest out on my own.

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
The holes are bigger than m10 - this much I know. I used some m10 bolts for my adapter plate, and there wasn't even any thread engagement with those, and there was plenty if room. I suspect he meant 12 or 14 :)
Holes greater than 10 mm in diameter means M12 or M14 bolts... sounds like you've got it. :)

I just keep a couple bolts of each common thread in a toolbox drawer, and use those to check for size as required.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Holes greater than 10 mm in diameter means M12 or M14 bolts... sounds like you've got it. :)

I just keep a couple bolts of each common thread in a toolbox drawer, and use those to check for size as required.
Yeah, great idea. I'm thinking of the same at the moment...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Cool, thanks. I'm looking to use the holes on the back of the motor, I believe there are 3 or 4. The thread info would be sufficient, since I'll measure the rest for my mounts. I just don't have anything remotely close to get an idea of what the threads are.

Jeff, the M12 and M14 are 1.5 thread.

·
Registered
285 Posts

Threaded fasteners are specified by the thread size, not the hex size; in metric, the thread size in millimetres is prefixed by "M". Do you mean an actual M14 (14 mm thread), or just a 14 mm head hex? M14 is a huge bolt, probably the largest in the vehicle; it would have a shear strength of at least 40,000 N (four tons). For example, the wheel studs and nuts for a car (such as the Leaf) are M12 (and commonly M14 for pickup trucks).

Yes, the bolts I bought were 10.9 but only because they didn't have grade 8. I figured most people who often play around with bolts would understand grade 10 to be 10.9

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
Yes, the bolts I bought were 10.9 but only because they didn't have grade 8.
I don't think anyone will have SAE grade 8 in a metric bolt.

I figured most people who often play around with bolts would understand grade 10 to be 10.9
I think "grade 10" for property class 10.9 is confusing, and if you followed the same shortcut and called a property class 8.8 bolt (the next common grade down) just "grade 8" that would be really bad, because the material characteristics of an ISO property class 8.8 fastener are not like an SAE grade 8 fastener (it's about SAE grade 5).

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jeff, the M12 and M14 are 1.5 thread.
Just to confirm, the bolts into the back of the motor are m12x1.5? I measure the holes as about 150mm deep. My local hardware store doesn't carry that size, so I just want to be sure before ordering. Thanks!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Just to confirm, the bolts into the back of the motor are m12x1.5? I measure the holes as about 150mm deep. My local hardware store doesn't carry that size, so I just want to be sure before ordering. Thanks!

I must have been having a senior moment when I said M14 and M12. It should have been M12 and M10 x 1.5.....DUH. I did find some at Lowes and they had a big head on them. Fastenal (if there is one in VT) also can get them

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I must have been having a senior moment when I said M14 and M12. It should have been M12 and M10 x 1.5.....DUH. I did find some at Lowes and they had a big head on them. Fastenal (if there is one in VT) also can get them
The front ones are m10, the ones on the back appear to be m12. I wasn't sure would would have been m14!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
M12 appears to be the correct size, but neither 1.25 or 1.5 is the correct thread pitch. Are you sure it wasn't 1.75? I'm going to pick some up today and try again.

·
Registered
285 Posts
M12 appears to be the correct size, but neither 1.25 or 1.5 is the correct thread pitch. Are you sure it wasn't 1.75? I'm going to pick some up today and try again.

Another senior moment, LOL. Yes. the M12 is 1.75

·
Registered
120 Posts

JB,

Sorry that I couldn't contribute or I would have chimed in. I'm away from the project for work at the moment. Very interested to see your mounts though when you complete them. Please share! Prior to my departure I completed my mounts. Curious to see what you went with.

Best,
Danny

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
JB,

Sorry that I couldn't contribute or I would have chimed in. I'm away from the project for work at the moment. Very interested to see your mounts though when you complete them. Please share! Prior to my departure I completed my mounts. Curious to see what you went with.

Best,
Danny
No worries! I'm looking forward to you getting that Samurai rolling. I made a bracket... we will have to see how it holds up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts