DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to go with pauls controller and leaf motor,

Has anyone found a Coupler that will fit the leaf output shaft?

I dont really want to spend £600 for the gearbox just to use the shaft out of it.

anyone ??

Thanks

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
In addition to the thread mentioned above (Nissan leaf motor) there is also an extended effort to build a coupler for a Leaf motor by dedlast, in 85 Supra conversion (near the end of the thread). That one uses part of the Leaf transaxle's input shaft, so the actual parts used are not quite what you would want... it's just a possibly useful information source.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks will take a look.

I would be happy with just the input shaft and then just have it welded to a lovejoy connector

I have sent a email to Nissan parts if is possible to order just the input shaft from the gearbox. getting replies back that they need the VIN/Chassis number.:confused:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
......well hit a brick wall with Nissan, reply from them is the gearbox is only sold as a whole unit..:confused::confused:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I need to update my thread. My machinist friend convinced me that I needed to go back to my original idea for my build, which is to machine my own coupling. The Leaf input shaft is hardened and would be difficult to do much with besides weld and grind.

I have a CAD drawing with what I think is the right spline shape, or close enough, but I haven't taken the next step of having samples EDM'd to test it.

Bill

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
be great if you could update your post to see what others are doing.

is it possible to have a spline coupler made, how much would one cost?:eek:

I see that old Fords (80's 90's) had 20 spline clutch plates has anyone tried one.

seems to be alot of 20 spline couplers available in the tractor industry!!

HELP- someone stop me--I feel my OCD coming on. I can see a lot of random 20 spline couplers packages coming through my door;)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Whoa pilgrim: measure spline sizes, spacings and diameters using a caliper. At this point even harbor freight $10 one will work. Then look at the specifications of the shafts to see what comes close. Might be just a case of some hand filing to get one that fits a standard SAE spline profile.

·
Registered
231 Posts
There is someone on this site that went through the search for matching splines. They found something that fit perfectly. My search skills are terrible, but, someone should be able to find that info.

·
Registered
238 Posts
For a slip fit, the clutch disk from an early '90's Geo tracker is perfect. It has a 7/8" 20-tooth spline and only has a little bit of free play.
For an interference (shrink on) fit, which is what I want so it stays on the motor shaft, I haven't found anything that fits.

Bill

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
is a geo tracker a suzuki samari euro equivalent.

OK just a few steps back, if all else fails :eek: and go with a leaf input shaft what problems will arise?

Bill you have this part

Can the input shaft be cut down

Can it be welded?

Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
is a geo tracker a suzuki samari euro equivalent.

OK just a few steps back, if all else fails :eek: and go with a leaf input shaft what problems will arise?

Bill you have this part

Can the input shaft be cut down

Can it be welded?

Thanks

Unfortunately at this time there is no easy answer to solving this coupler issue. But the existing piece from the Nissan gear box is definitely machinable. I had mine machined with no issues.

My 1986 Suzuki Samurai Re-Conversion?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...rums/showthread.php?p=904178&share_pid=904178

Also the geo/samurai of that year should both work. If you decide to go that route I can provide you with the clutch part number, but you are better off buying one from a junk yard or finding someone who has a worn clutch.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Why do you want a shrink fit?
It's designed to work with a sliding fit
Which on this forum doesn't mean much. After all, the motor you're using certainly wasn't designed for the use you're putting it to.

Also, using it as a slip fit in my setup will cause as much or more complication than designing something to use it as a shrink fit. And will take up about 3 times the space.

The input shaft is hardened, which should be a minor issue for a competent shop.

Bill

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Why do you want a shrink fit?
It's designed to work with a sliding fit
The Leaf design has a sliding fit between a motor shaft (male spline) and a transaxle shaft (female spline), with both shafts being well-located in their own bearings.

In contrast, the DIY application needs to connect the male splined motor shaft to a male-splined transmission input shaft. That means another connector element (some sort of coupler), which needs to be located by something, which in turn means that it should be fixed to one shaft or the other.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Somebody should bring back the old Kaylor VW/aircraft generator style adapter plates to use with these Leaf motors:

This images are stolen from Pete's(One Green EV) blog about using the Kaylor adapter. The side of the bearing cartridge next to his right hand takes the male spline(I checked, it's not the same as the Leaf spline) of an old aircraft generator(run as a motor). You may recognize the typical aircooled VW flywheel spigot next to his left hand (see flywheel to the right). The two support bearings are in between. The cartridge slides into and snap ringed into the aluminum housing. This style adapter would be a great way to use these readily available Leaf motors with or without a clutch. Also, it's very easy to remove and reattach the motor.

P.S. Don't repeatedly stab your hand with a screw driver like I'm sure Pete is doing, putting the snap ring in! Get some good snap ring pliers.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Seems like still no one has a decent solution for this. I want an adapter that fits on the splines and then has a flange that bolts to the flywheel, but I'm dreading the cost of having a single piece machined. Would maybe some people be interested in doing like a group buy or something? maybe could design it with a blank flange and then people could tap their own holes for whatever flywheel pattern they happen to have.

Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 118 Posts